Electric to garage across public path

Sponsored Links
May end up being easier to request a new electrical supply for the garage, then it's up to the supplier to provide everything. Also costly though......

Sponsored Links
When I looked into this for work (we had a customer with sites either side of a road) we were pointed to a contractor doing directional drilling to put ducts under roads. We were told that as we wouldn't be breaking the surface of the road, we wouldn't need permits etc. When you "own" land, you do not own underneath that land - though I imagine there is probably case lore about how close to your surface someone is allowed to go.
If one side or other is open garden so you can dig a decent size hole, then putting a bit of pipe across underneath the path shouldn't be too hard. BTW - what sort of soil do you have there ? There's a difference between pushing a bit of pipe through soft sandy ground and pushing it through heavy clay full of rocks !

Differences there may be, but both impossible are.

If a tunnel you want , a mole you need.

How about a " Back up Portable" Generator
They seem to work for the Local Burger vans.

This ˆˆˆˆˆˆ
I bought a used generator for £100 to run tyre warmers and a kettle on motorcycle track days. This should easily run lights and a small heater.

Failing that, you could leave a 12V car battery rigged up in the garage for the lights.

flood light on the house, and a solar panel on the garage facing it....!
Transmit the electricity from the house to the garage 'wirelessly' by simply switching on the floodlight from the house.

Joke obviously, but should work reasonably well up to 100w or so.

It's not impossible to push pipes under roads, I've seen it done many times.

But I doubt you saw the amount of planning that went into deciding how to mole the pipe in without risking damage to other services buried in the area.

No moles were used - they just pushed the pipes through the ground - Watson was very clear about that.

they just pushed the pipes through the ground - Watson was very clear about that.

Same applies to pushing a straight length of rigid pipe through the ground, snag is that to push a rigid pipe under a 14 foot wide road there would have to be a 14 foot long access trench dug. Or a shorter access trench and join shorter lengths of pipe into one long length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back