electric towel rail too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My towel rail gets too hot to touch. Its electric, no water feed so i assume its water filled. Is there anyway to lower the temperature? I have provided a picture of a screw/valve? Situated on the top of the towel rail. Didnt want to touch it, but is that possibly a way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20200927_202439.jpg
    20200927_202439.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 20200927_202424.jpg
    20200927_202424.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 402
Sponsored Links
The heating element has a thermostat.
Standard (single heat) elements like yours heat to between 65-80°C and maintain that temperature.

If it’s getting hotter than that the thermostat may be faulty. You can buy a replacement element. You can also get ones that have a variable temperature.

If you change the element you’ll need to refill with water.

Thank you for your reply.

Would you recommend any?
Are they universal or do i need to get one specific to my towel rail?

I assume then that it is filled through the bottom where the element goes in?

Do you know what the screw on the top does?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure of everything before i buy parts/work on it

They are a standard size from a screw fitting point of view, but they vary in length and power (watts). Replace with one the same spec as your existing. It should be written on the element where the cable goes in.

Fill it from the top! Unscrew the plug at the top. The large plug, not the valve in the middle of it.
You have a radiator that can also be hooked up to a central heating system. The screw at the top is the bleed valve to let Any air out.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant! Thank you so much.
Will be able to sort it out now.
Really appreciate your comments.
Take care!

Those don’t actually limit the temperature in the way that a thermostat does. There is no temperature sensor in it.
It’s just a device that switches on and off. So if you select (say) 50% it will power the element for half the time, 20% it will switch on for say 5 mins, off for 20 mins etc.

They are about the same price as a replacement element, not including back box and installation cost.

Those don’t actually limit the temperature in the way that a thermostat does. There is no temperature sensor in it.
It’s just a device that switches on and off. So if you select (say) 50% it will power the element for half the time, 20% it will switch on for say 5 mins, off for 20 mins etc.

They are about the same price as a replacement element, not including back box and installation cost.
They adjust the voltage to the element, adjusting the heat output. In use in countless B&Bs.

Changing an element involves removing the rad from the wall, unwiring, and removing the element. Time consuming. This controller can replace the flex outlet if in a suitable zone, or be placed quickly adjacent to the existing spur.

No one seems to be querying the original - in my view - misunderstanding.

My towel rail gets too hot to touch.
It is supposed to. It is a heating appliance.

The heating element has a thermostat.
Standard (single heat) elements like yours heat to between 65-80°C and maintain that temperature.
It could be faulty but 65 - 80° is too hot to touch.

If you want it able to be touched all the time, you might as well turn it off.

Thanks for both your help, aiming to sort it out at the end of the month. Will update you on how it goes.

If you need any roofing info feel free to ask
Take care

I would have thought that if it was filled with water, unless it was kettling badly, I’d just leave it alone. As long as it’s switching off before it boils, that should be good, yes?

I want it to be on so i can use it for its intended purpose but i have a dog and toddler at home. I dont want either of them to burn themselves with it. So i want to be able to lower the temperature so it atleast wont burn them if they were to get to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back