1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric water heater - hot feed to appliances?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Jambi_81, 16 Oct 2020.

1. Jambi_81

Jambi_81

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My house just has a small electric water heater. Refitting the kitchen, I've discovered the appliances are fed from the hot supply. Which struck me as odd considering. Presumably more expensive to run that way.
    Now I'm wondering whether this was to maintain tap water temp when appliances are in use. As if they're fed from the cold, that would reduce flow and so increase the temp from the heater? Does that sound correct? Or was this just a mistake, the house is a bit of a mess.

Should I switch appliances back to cold feed, which was my initial thought?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Which appliances ? Dishwasher only requires cold supply ,and modern washing machines do as well. Older washers need both hot and cold.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If only a single supply to appliances it should be cold

5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't see why, if your only way of heating water in taps and appliances is with electrical power.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Jambi_81

Jambi_81

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Both the dishwasher and washing machine. I thought it was really odd when I realised. The dishwasher can run off the hot supply so the manual says (although not over 60 degrees I think it was). Not sure about the washing machine, though I've bought a new one now. Think I'll just change it back to the cold supply.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep change them to cold supply, that way the appliance internal controls regulate the temp of the water as it was designed to do, both are being heated by electric so no cost saving by feeding them from an electric water heater , let them work as they were designed to do

• Like Like x 2
  9. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That will be cheaper for the washing machine, as most of the water it uses is cold.

10. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    if you have a free or very cheap source of hot water, it will shorten the cycle a bit and save electricity.

but generally, not worthwhile.

remember it will be drawing water from the pipes that has probably already cooled down, at first.

I have a hot-and-cold washer, and it draws cold only for cool and delicate washes (wool etc) that may be spoiled or shrink in hot water.

Electricity is an expensive source of energy, so in your case, the cold fills will be more efficient and economical. Presumably you don't have solar panels?

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local