Electric weed sweeper keeps stalling..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have an electric weed sweeper (looks like a strimmer but has a wire wheel at one end) which worked great when new.. recently I have noticed that it starts to stall under load..

Is it the brushes that are knackered or is it on its way out?

Please advise

Sponsored Links
Cheers folks.. it has vents and they are not clogged.. I'm suspecting the brushes need replacing..

Guess I would need to open it and see.. thought there was something common

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd split the machine, check the brushes and if they are OK I'd call it a day.
It's common for corded tools to fail for no apparent reason - under load or not - and that can be due to wire flexing fracture as the cable enters the handle.
Pretty sure that's not the issue here though!
John :)

Fair enough, I'll rephrase that to 'no obviously apparent reason' and cable failures aren't always detectable without stripping them.
As for calling it a day, I'm perfectly able to test motor windings (without YouTube) but economically viable repairs are rare with tools like these.
John :)

The mechanism might be worn or rusty, increasing the load by friction. This will be detectable by hot spots, especially at bearings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back