electrical cable types 6232y v 6242bh2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks i am currently stocking up on the items i need to complete our extension/conversion

i have therefore just got my hands on some cable for the wiring however i just need to clarify if it will be suitable before i install it

i would normally wire the ring main in standard 2.5mm 6242y however i have just got my hands on a roll of 6242bh2 which i understand is the low smoke fume cable

would building regs allow me to wire the ring main in this cable also if required could switch between this and the standard cable.

many thanks

jon

Sponsored Links
I normally refer to the Batt cables website to get details on cables. Thermal setting cables will carry more current than thermal plastic but table 4D5 does not give the thermal setting figures. But I see no problem in using thermal setting cable all the Ali-tube cables are thermal setting and rated 90 degs rather than 70 degs C. They are often white rather than grey when as twin and earth.

Going between cable current carrying capacities should mean using a fuse but one does need to use some common sense. If it leaves the consumer unit as thermal setting then went to thermal plastic and back to thermal setting then in the future some one could inspect both ends and raise the fuse/MCB ratting thinking the same cable was used throughout. So you should not swap types like that. But with a ring circuit for example using thermal setting where it goes through thermal insulations would be a good idea.

As with most things you need to use some common sense.

I am struggling to see how someone who has to ask a question like this is competent right now to be doing major electrical design and installation work.

I am struggling to see how someone who has to ask a question like this is competent right now to be doing major electrical design and installation work.

Thats simple to answer

It is more than possible to competent in something but when you come across something you have not seen or used before that does not make you not competent it just implies that you need additional information to be competent using that product.

I am more than competent doing domestic wiring am actually a qualified electrician. However i do not do electrical work on a daily basis and whilst i have seen this cable before i have not had a need to use it.

My confusion comes that it is stated as only suitable for lighting on a couple of the web sites i have looked at. Whilst i know the copper wiring is more than capable of carrying the loads in question, having not used this type of cable before i am unaware of the thermal properties of the outer casing and how it will interact with a domestic consumer unit.

Being a competent person as it stands i have no in tension of using the cable until I have enough information to confirm it is suitable for purpose.

The whole reason for asking the question on here/

jon

Sponsored Links
I normally refer to the Batt cables website to get details on cables. Thermal setting cables will carry more current than thermal plastic but table 4D5 does not give the thermal setting figures. But I see no problem in using thermal setting cable all the Ali-tube cables are thermal setting and rated 90 degs rather than 70 degs C. They are often white rather than grey when as twin and earth.

Going between cable current carrying capacities should mean using a fuse but one does need to use some common sense. If it leaves the consumer unit as thermal setting then went to thermal plastic and back to thermal setting then in the future some one could inspect both ends and raise the fuse/MCB ratting thinking the same cable was used throughout. So you should not swap types like that. But with a ring circuit for example using thermal setting where it goes through thermal insulations would be a good idea.

As with most things you need to use some common sense.

thanks for that thats what i need where to go for additional information. when i do the wiring what ever is used will be all the same and i certainly would not switch between cable types.

yes this cable will be buried in insulation in the loft

You will also probably notice a great(er) resistance to bending and great difficulty when stripping back.

Other than being horrid to work with, there's no problem at all with using LSF in your house.

You should see how often specs from consultants require the use of LSH cabling yet have it contaqined in PVC dado just about everywhere...

Because he's asking.

Some people are afraid to ask, incase they get a gobbing off someone like you - so mistakes may occur.

At least he's willing to ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back