Electrical fires

Sponsored Links
61 Pages long.

So what the summary lol ?

Is it the fuse of houses with night storage heaters ?

The summary seems to be that service fuses, consumer units etc end up overheating from time to time due to a combination of bad contacts and high currents. Most of the time this just leads to charred wiring and electrical accessories but occasionally a full blown fire results.

The big and difficult question is what is the difference between the cases where there was just some charred electrical gear and the cases where there was actually a fire.

Charred electrical equipment is normally all that happens when there is no combustible material stored next to the overheating electrical equipment.

It is inflammable material ignited by the electrical fire that leads to the majority of serious fires. ( source LFB Fire Investigation Branch 1980's )

Sponsored Links
One of my drinking buddies was a fireman until last Friday. Government cuts and all that.

More often than not, whenever there was a house fire where the chief investigative officer could not find an obvious fault ("Gas leak guv?" "Nah, the house is still there".) It was put down as an electrical fault.

Yeah, I heard that from a fire officer too.

P*sses me right off.

I attended a house fire years ago caused by a jammed CH pump. It had got red-hot and set fire to a load of DVD's and CD's piled around it.

Boy was the house a mess once they'd sprayed a few millilitres of water around the place!

And we were being pushed to megger the wiring and get it back on!!!

Evening All

Very Interesting

Just had a look at the photographs in this document and in most cases the electricity meters are very new looking. I won't be surprised if it's a case of the connections been disturbed when the meter fitter pulls the fuse to replace the meter. (Some fuses possibly been wedged in place for decades)

Having said this, the fuseholders are in the live side of the supply, yet people say that overheating in these areas occurrs in the neutral side a lot more than the live :rolleyes: :?: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back