Electrical Insulating tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had green Scotch tape in a tin it was claimed to be special water proof stuff, I suppose this is a problem, there are cheap and expensive roles of tape and because the cheap one falls off it does not mean they all fall off. But sleeves are great when you have ferrules crimped on the wires, but without all too easy for them to fall off, of course so can cheap tape.

Sponsored Links
Some of these screwdriver kits they sell, they all look the same. I feel I can spend far too much time picking the wrong one up.

Coloured tape has become an absolute must to give some indication of which screwdriver is which.

Sponsored Links
Useful for temporary colour coding of cables.
2018-05-08 12.21.15.jpg

Has no-one mentioned the use of red insulating tape on black switched live?

Use loads of it in the entertainment world when coiling up flexible extensions (lost count of how much PVC we used clearing Blenheim Palace after the Christmas light show- probably 10km of 16A TRS). Also white or yellow PVC and a Sharpie is very handy for marking up sound/lighting/video controllers for what is what that particular day. Been a long long time since I've used it where its insulating properties are required

Garbage, insulating tape insulates a damn lot more than silver foil tape does :)

Well if that's the only thing you can come up with which it is better than, I think you've just proved my point.

I do remember as an apprentice using scotch tape to insulate busbars linked to battery banks on submarines, 800 volts AFAIR

I do remember as an apprentice using scotch tape to insulate busbars linked to battery banks on submarines, 800 volts AFAIR
Quality tape is very much the same sort of product as some PVC flex cables. As long as there are enough layers it is comparable. In BT much use was made of PVC tape for insulating bussbars but quality is required and certainly not the typical 50p a roll stuff from wholesalers, sheds etc

Please tell us all which standards for site-applied insulation tape complies with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back