Electrical Insulating tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has a site got to do with it? Insulation tape is used worldwide to insulate electrical connections. While it may not be the best method it is a method that does often work, you may not be able to "rely" on it long term but I'm sure that there are many people who have not received a shock because of its use.
If your saying that you do not ever nor never will use it then I'm gonna call BS on that one BAS. :)

Sponsored Links
It's applied "on-site".

It does not comply with the requirements for insulation.

And call that if you want to be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Why? why do I want to read that?

Just because they say something in there does not mean it has to be done, after all its only a guideline (so electricians keep telling me).

Perhaps you want to read some other standards, some specification sheets on other materials such as the one I linked to.

I use it on motorcycle wiring looms all the time, along with shrinkwrap.

Never had a problem, it's how it's applied as much as anything.

I've removed alarms fitted 10+ years previously and the tape has still been in perfectly servicable condition (a swine to peel off in most cases!).

I have met a lot of electricians who put a ring of tape on there tools to identify them, personally I think it looks crap, im sure theirs some posters on here do it and i do believe there was a picture of RF lightings tools on here years ago and he had done it. :).

Also refridge engineers used to use a mixture of lots of coloured rings round the black outer sheath, like the markings on resisters, to identify there swa cables which looks quite impressive when glanded in there panels.

Why? why do I want to read that?
Because you are making claims which are contradicted by what it says.

Just because they say something in there does not mean it has to be done, after all its only a guideline (so electricians keep telling me).
It does have to be done if you want an electrical certificate to be valid, or for electrical work to be lawful if BS 7671 compliance is the way chosen to satisfy Part P.

I have met a lot of electricians who put a ring of tape on there tools to identify them, personally I think it looks crap, im sure theirs some posters on here do it and i do believe there was a picture of RF lightings tools on here years ago and he had done it. :).

Also refridge engineers used to use a mixture of lots of coloured rings round the black outer sheath, like the markings on resisters, to identify there swa cables which looks quite impressive when glanded in there panels.

Yes I have tape on my tools. I work with lots of different lads and everyone having different markings makes it very easy to make sure we all get the right tools back and everyone knows what belongs to each other.

I use it when making wiring harnesses for automotive and other uses.

Some people don't like it for that and prefer to use cloth tape or 'harness tape' which is basically vinyl insulating tape without the sticky bit.

Can't say i've ever used it for mains wiring though.

I have created harnesses with other tapes, also with the black string looking wrap material (I forget its name its that long ago) however now days cable ties or electrical tape would usually be used instead as its cheaper and quicker.

If you buy the cheap crap then it does come undone, but if you get good quality tape it can last for years.

Just as well, as they are inadequate.
In your opinion only. As pointed out, for some tapes the insulating properties are specifically stated, thus making them "insulation". Presumably you make the same statement regarding the use of heat shrink sleeving as insulation over crimped or soldered joints ? I have even seen the MIs for a DI light fitting specifically instruct to use "several layers of insulation tape" over the terminal block (aka choc block) used for the terminations.
I have created harnesses with other tapes, also with the black string looking wrap material (I forget its name its that long ago)
That would be lacing cord. These days most people would use cable ties (aka tywraps) which doesn't look half as good as a well laced harness.

That was the stuff, not used it for many years. A bit like the old memory, not used that either. :)

In your opinion only.
No, not only in my opinion - it is shared by the writers of BS 7671.

As pointed out, for some tapes the insulating properties are specifically stated, thus making them "insulation". Presumably you make the same statement regarding the use of heat shrink sleeving as insulation over crimped or soldered joints ?
No, I don't, as heatshrink requires a tool to remove it.

I have even seen the MIs for a DI light fitting specifically instruct to use "several layers of insulation tape" over the terminal block (aka choc block) used for the terminations.
Maybe you have, but that doesn't necessarily mean that doing that complies with BS 7671, as well we know.

BS7671 doesn't apply to the internals of a device, so what it has to say is irrelevant to whether tape is insulating or not. Also, whether or not a tool is needed to remove it doesn't affect it's physical properties - presumably you aren't going to argue that it could have insulating properties if within an enclosure, but not if (everything else the same) the enclosure isn't present ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back