Electrical Insulating tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yes I have used a bigger font than you. I have no idea why you wanted to go bold in the first place but I thought I'd play your game.
I put the question in bold so that it would be harder for people to miss.

The issue, right now, is not my use of heat-shrink - that can be discussed separately, and could also be found to be wrong.

Right now the issue is the use of adhesive tape as insulation, and until those saying it is OK clarify to what they are applying it, and why then no progress is going to be made.

So shelve, for now, heat-shrink sleeving, and tell me - to what are you applying adhesive tape, and why?

Sponsored Links
I put the question in bold so that it would be harder for people to miss.
Ahh I didn't realise that the people who read this forum can't see
The issue, right now, is not my use of heat-shrink - that can be discussed separately, and could also be found to be wrong.

Right now the issue is the use of adhesive tape as insulation, and until those saying it is OK clarify to what they are applying it, and why then no progress is going to be made.
The issue, right now, as I see it is the confusion between adhesive tape and insulation tape. They are different products.

So shelve, for now, heat-shrink sleeving, and tell me - to what are you applying adhesive tape, and why?

Ahh I didn't realise that the people who read this forum can't see
You obviously didn't see it.

Or is it the case that you did see it, but are pretending that if you ignore it it will go away?

The issue, right now, as I see it is the confusion between adhesive tape and insulation tape. They are different products.
I think you'll find that "insulation tape" is adhesive.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
I think you'll find that "insulation tape" is adhesive.

I think that you will find that "insulation tape" is a thin layer of (usually PVC) an insulating material that is coated with an adhesive layer.

Apologies If I have missed something, perhaps you could remind me.
I've asked the question twice - if you think you can distract attention from your failure to answer it by pretending that you have missed it and need reminding, feel free, but note the following:
  1. It will be no such distraction, only something which damages your credibility.
  2. I am not going to play that game.

I think that you will find that "insulation tape" is a thin layer of (usually PVC) an insulating material that is coated with an adhesive layer.
I think everyone will find that they are ignoring the question of how/what/where they are using or recommending the use of "insulating tape", preferring to distract attention by introducing heat-shrink tubing, plastic shrouds on busbars, arguing that although (most) "insulation tape" is adhesive, "adhesive tape" is a confusing term to use, and so on.

I've asked the question twice - if you think you can distract attention from your failure to answer it by pretending that you have missed it and need reminding, feel free, but note the following:
  1. It will be no such distraction, only something which damages your credibility.
  2. I am not going to play that game.
Are you referring to the bit where you shouted at us by using bold?

Oh look - another #1 from you.

MOD: Quit the bickering now or the thread will be locked.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you look online at cable jointing they often bind some form of tape round the bare connecters, what tape that is i dont know, but in some of the packs we used to buy it always looked just like the basic Insulation tape .
Then again its then further enclosed in resin so has further insulation.

When you look online at cable jointing they often bind some form of tape round the bare connecters, what tape that is i dont know, but in some of the packs we used to buy it always looked just like the basic Insulation tape. ... Then again its then further enclosed in resin so has further insulation.
True, but I doubt that they would even consider using 'conductive' tape, even if the joint was going to be enclosed in resin - so I presume they must have some regard for the insulating properties of whatever tape they use.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, I looked at the rule number mentioned earlier - and couldn't see how it was relevant to the question of using insulating tape. Since (AFAICS) only BAS is claiming that BS7671 prohibits it's use, I think it's incumbent on him to say exactly where it says so.

As to what I use it for, mostly (as with others it seems) it's mostly used as adhesive tape (either holding things together or labelling/colour coding them) rather than as insulating tape. I try not to use it as the only insulation simply because it can peel off, but if required then I'll use it. That's usually where something needs insulating but it's either an irregular shape, or an end isn't free (such as tapping into a cable without cutting it) to slip some sleeving on. And I'll normally do one or more things to minimise the risk of it coming off :
  • One is to add a few extra turns at the end and arrange that if the end comes undone then it'll hang down - normally things don't fall upwards so the end won't be left hanging on the adhesive and be able to continue unravelling. It's also a good idea to minimise stretching in the last couple of turns.
  • Another is to add another layer, particularly if it's a multi-core cable, around all the whole lot. The insulation on individual cores cannot unravel if it's inside another layer of wrapping.
  • Yes another is putting a cable tie round it - particularly for things like sticking the aerial lead to the pole where it's exposed to the weather and light, and the end can continue pulling down on the adhesive.

Hmm, I found that BS is actually advocating the use of tape.
While it does not mention using it for insulation, it does say to use it in 514.4.6

Which seems to be what a lot are saying they use it for too.

Ah well. ;)

Last edited:
Yes I have tape on my tools. I work with lots of different lads and everyone having different markings makes it very easy to make sure we all get the right tools back and everyone knows what belongs to each other.
I too have used this system. It's really handy when there's multiple sparks on a site and even in my latter years when working with maybe just one or two others.

And oddly, in all those years, I have never had the same combination of tape that anyone else had! I used solid green and yellow, with the yellow nearest the handle end of the tool.

Indeed, I looked at the rule number mentioned earlier - and couldn't see how it was relevant to the question of using insulating tape. Since (AFAICS) only BAS is claiming that BS7671 prohibits it's use, I think it's incumbent on him to say exactly where it says so.
Given that there are so many requirements for "insulation" in BS 7671, it is incumbent on those who say "insulating tape can be used" to say which insulating role they claim it can play.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back