Electrical problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a dimmer switch in my hallway,there are 3 light switches in different locations throughout the hall.problem I unscrewed one of the switches to change to the dimmer on the old switch it says it is 1 way but has 3 wires L1=yellow, L2-blue,L3=red (Ithought this would make it a three way)Anyway on the dimmer it has L1,L2,C but when I connected the dimmer I wasnt sure where to put the red wire.

Another switch in the hallway has an input & out put location with red & blue in out put & red & blue in input is this also a one way?

The other switch in the hallway has a 2reds together,blue/black together & yellow at the top this also says onb the old switch cover that its a 1 way.

They all control each other eg I switch on light at top of hallway they all come on,switch it at bottom of hallway they all go off.

I brought a 1 way dimmer but it controls all the lights & switches wont work in the other locations[/list]

Sponsored Links
2 of the switches will be 2 way.
The switch with 4 wires in will be an intermediate.
You can use a 2 way dimmer to replace a 2 way switch:
[code:1]
Old switch New Switch
L1 C
L2 L1
L3 L2
[/code:1]
I take it there are no stairs in this area?

Spark123 said:
2 of the switches will be 2 way.
The switch with 4 wires in will be an intermediate.
You can use a 2 way dimmer to replace a 2 way switch:
[code:1]
Old switch New Switch
L1 C
L2 L1
L3 L2
[/code:1]
I take it there are no stairs in this area?

No there are no stairs in the hallway.I've used a 2 way dimmer but the other lights dont work once the dimmer is connected they will only work from the dimmer switch,& the dimmer cannot be turn up to its brightness it stays dim.& why on the cover of the old switch does it say its a 1 way if its a 2 way?

Are you sure you have connected the new dimmer correctly?

common = yellow
L1 = blue
L2 = red

Sponsored Links
sonia40 said:
No there are no stairs in the hallway.
I'd advise against fitting a dimmer switch to a lamp on a staircase
why on the cover of the old switch does it say its a 1 way if its a 2 way?
Sticker man at the factory having a bad day, someone has modified a 1 way switch, someone had a sticker stuck to their finger and wanted somewhere to stick it so stuck it on..........
Or you could be reading the bit which is the configuration for a 1 way switch.

RF Lighting said:
Are you sure you have connected the new dimmer correctly?

common = yellow
L1 = blue
L2 = red

yes but because it disabled the other lights I put the old one back on.Here is a picture of the old switch back on.sorry I dont know how to insert the image from my camera to show you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back