electrical switch fascia's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm thinking of putting up a MDF panel cladding on a normal plastered wall. I will have to cut out some holes in the panel(i guess as big as the hole in the plaster) so I can mount the plug fascias on the panel. I'm not breaking any regulations/rules by doing this, am I?

cheers

Sponsored Links
The mounting boxes will either need to be moved forwards so they are flush with the surface of the panel, or replaced with deeper ones, or extension boxes fitted.

It is not permitted for the space behind the switch/socket or whatever to be directly made of MDF or other flammable substances.

It is not permitted for the space behind the switch/socket or whatever to be directly made of MDF or other flammable substances.
Which reg says that?

And how does it get applied to sockets mounted in plastic dado trunking?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I suspected you wouldnt be allowed mdf within the back box area. Makes sense really.
I assume items like wall mounted lamps that sit on top of any mdf would be ok though?. Also , what about BT sockets. Do you reckon they need to be fully enclosed ?

Thanks for the advice. I suspected you wouldnt be allowed mdf within the back box area. Makes sense really.
MDF, or other combustible material, is allowed 'in the backbox area'. What isn't allowed is for the 'back box' to actually be made out of a combustible material. In other words, there has to be something (like a back box) deemed not to be 'combustible' between live parts and anything which is combustible.
I assume items like wall mounted lamps that sit on top of any mdf would be ok though?. Also , what about BT sockets. Do you reckon they need to be fully enclosed ?
Indeed. Anything (like a light fitting, junction box or whatever) that itself satisfactory 'encloses' the live parts can be attached to anything (within reason), including combustible things.

Kind Regards, John

Anything (like a light fitting, junction box or whatever) that itself satisfactory 'encloses' the live parts can be attached to anything (within reason), including combustible things.
That needs qualifying as many light fittings are not safe if fixed to a combustible surface because the casing gets hot (dependent on the type and rating of lamp fitted). I've converted four uplighters in our lounge to LED (14W R7s, dimable) instead of the 120W lamps they originally had in (yup, reduction from 480W :eek: to 56W) - based on how hot they had obviously been, and while screwed to the block/plastered wall as a heatsink, I'd not have liked to see them mounted on wood.

That needs qualifying as many light fittings are not safe if fixed to a combustible surface because the casing gets hot (dependent on the type and rating of lamp fitted). I've converted four uplighters in our lounge to LED (14W R7s, dimable) instead of the 120W lamps they originally had in (yup, reduction from 480W :eek: to 56W) - based on how hot they had obviously been, and while screwed to the block/plastered wall as a heatsink, I'd not have liked to see them mounted on wood.
I agree that it doesn't sound/feel very nice but, in reality, the temperature required to ignite wood is way above the melting point of, say, PVC - so if there were a real risk of attached wood catching on fire, I think one would have more rapidly-presenting problems to worry about.

However, that issue really only relates to lights. In the context of this thread, sockets don't (certainly shouldn't!) present the same 'getting hot' issues :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back