Electrical Test Certificate essential for house sale?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm selling a house I own, a considerable amount under the price of the same terraced properties nearby. This reflects work which is needed on it ; no double glazing, no gch, & some repointing needed. It also may benefit from a rewire, but it may not be essential. ( I haven't had it inspected/tested yet )

Can the property be sold w/o the PIR / cert for electrics ? or is it essential for the sale.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Its not essential - There is no requirement for a certificate to be provided, although a surveyor will normally mention it in their report, especially if they see recent electrical work.

The 'Regs' suggest 10 yearly inspections for domestic premises, but I bet over 90% of (privately owned and not let) houses haven't ever had one.

Even when the Home Information Pack comes in, it seems it will not be a requirement to include an Electrical Certificate.

As you say, you are pricing it because of the work needing doing, so there is no problem. I suspect the majority of houses sold today would benefit from some electrical work, if what I've seen on my short travels is anything to go by!

Gavin

Thanks Gavin,

as it's also a cash sale, there's been no survey required and the buyer is family too. I can't understand then why the buyer's solicitor has requested one. Maybe it's just procedure. Or maybe because there's no survey.........

Cheers,

Pete

surely if they want one they (the buyer) pay!

from what i have seen the levels of survey are as follow

1)basic morgage one, guy comes scratched his head and says yes the house is worth what you are paying and give you a disclaimer saying you may wish to get electrics etc checked

2)more complex ones may test damp etc, but still nothing in much detail, might look at the cu and say looks old etc, either way may reccomend getting someone to check it

3) get someone to test electrics + pluming etc

all this is at buers expence, although soon sellers will need to make a sellers pack with most of it in so then the expense will be on them, unless the buyer wants additional things doing.

Sponsored Links
The buyer's solititor will be acting in what he thinks are the buyers best interests, if the buyer doesn't want to worry about a PIR then he should inform them of this

my friend told me a estate agent advised her not to replace the central heating (it is still working but aged) and advertise the house as 'needing some modernisation'

The idea being people actively seek out this type of house as they think there is more money to be made

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back