Electrical tester playing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light, fingers crossed.... I have a Fluke T5-1000 electrical tester and for some reason when testing a 240v circuit my tester only reads 24- I've changed batteries just in case they were low but it's still does the same. Any ideas? Cheers in advance
IMG_20221203_143322.jpg

Sponsored Links
What does the display show on the ohms range, for example?

Looks like some duff segments on the RH digit and it may be anything except 240 V, 241 V, or 247V being measured.

I have an ancient (mid 1980s) Fluke LCD DMM with dodgy display connections that flexing the case helps a bit. I really must strip it down and clean it up (again). It's too good to go in the bin although well out of Calibration by now.

What does the display show on the ohms range, for example?

Looks like some duff segments on the RH digit and it may be anything except 240 V, 241 V, or 247V being measured.

I have an ancient (mid 1980s) Fluke LCD DMM with dodgy display connections that flexing the case helps a bit. I really must strip it down and clean it up (again). It's too good to go in the bin although well out of Calibration by now.
It reads 0 when switched over to ohms. I don't think the casing comes open to have a proper look inside or if it does I've no idea how

As above, it's possibly a display connection problem, and if you apply some pressure to the frame around the display, you may see some of the segments come back.
I believe the display uses zebra connectors - these can sometimes be troublesome to clean up and get working again - but generic replacements are widely available.
Alternatively, if the segments reappear with some light pressure, you could just shove a little bit of cardboard between the case and display to maintain that pressure.
Lastly, if you do open the case - it's also worth cleaning up the contacts on the selector knob - with use the contacts get dirty and can lead to inaccurate readings from the meter.

Sponsored Links
Has it been dropped or anything?

Has it been dropped or anything?
No nothing. It was fine last week then I was testing some a/c equipment today and everything was just saying 24v so I thought I had a issue with the a/c system. It was only when I tried a mates tester which is the same as mine and I was getting 240v so the issue lays with my tester

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back