Electrical UK - Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can’t seem to sign in to the Electrical UK area with my details so going to post here please re-posted in the Electrical area.

Right I'm no sparky but just got an invoice through the post for work carried out on my rental chalet in mablethorpe, The invoice reads as follows:-

Rectification of earth fault to chalet causing PFC to be very low, RCD not tripping in required time frame and Z' s to be very high. Now in order.

Can someone please explain whats gone off? I changed all the pot fuses for B class fuses, could this contribute to the problem? other wise I cannot see how one year the electrics passed then this year they don’t??.

What work would have been carried out to rectify the problem & is £16.50 a fair price for the work?

Thanks, Richard

Sponsored Links
... is £16.50 a fair price for the work?
I would have thought most qualified professionals would charge more than that to come and ring on your door bell!

Although they may have done nothing more than tighten up a loose clamp.

Electrical installations don't last for ever and like anything else, problems and damage can and does occur. Hence the need for regular inspections, particularly in rented properties.

£16.50 is far too low for any work.

I changed all the pot fuses for B class fuses, could this contribute to the problem?
Changing fuses could not cause this type of fault. It was probably a loose wire or connection.

What exactly do you mean by 'pot fuses' and 'b class fuses'? And why was it necessary to change them?

Sponsored Links
Well ang on one minuet! All I was doing was asking if the price was ok or not!!
In my job I just book out what I need on account then do the job my company then send a bill, I have no idea on a price side of things! and I checked all my clamps which found to be tight and secure and the pipe was cleaned on all clamps!

The pot fuses where like the ones you find in a plug but a lot bigger and rated say at 32amp etc. Which slot inside a casing which you then push into the board, bit like the old fuse wire idea. I changed them over because if one was to trip then that b it for the night no power, lights, etc. The b class replace these with a rocker switch type as you would find on fuse boards today, which slot in same as the pot fuse or fuse wire block would.

Could a moderator please move my post to Electrical UK please.

could a moderator move this to www.scroogeproperties.com where i might get the work done for sweet F.A. from a proper tradesman
failing that leave it here where i can continue to waste my own time and the time of others for the sake of 16 whole pounds :eek:

Bet it's one of those flippin' trolls winding up the poor old gas fitters. ;) :p :p

The terminology you're looking for is cartridge fuses and MCBs

"Pot fuse" is something you've invented!

Well they were all ceramic (pot) when I was a kid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back