electrician courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
hope this is in the right place i apologise now if not.my partner is trying to find an electrical course that will fit in around his working hours we've rang a couple but the course's are slightly out of our means,can anyone offer any advise or any alternative that we should be looking into
thanks lynda

Sponsored Links
IMHO and experience:

Local college night school. Take City & Guilds 2330 course.
Then
2381 short course (college or company like TeKnique)
then
2391 short course (college or company like TeKnique)

while he's doing 2330 try to start getting some 'on the tools' experience.

So, about 4 years later he will emerge as a fully qualified sparky with some experience.

In my opinion there's no cheap (or expensive) shortcuts

TTC

couldn't agree more. It's taken me three long years of evening classes (2 nights a week) and a year on the job. And even after 10 years you can still learn new things.

Sponsored Links
If you have any experience, and are confident you know much of Part 1, you can take Part 1 C&G at the same time as Part 2. Take the retakes for Part 1 in November whilst studying for Part 2 (evening classes probably 3 hours twice a week). At the same time write your Part 1 assignments. Then in the Spring, write the Part 2 assignments and take the Part 2 exams. Qualified in 6 months! Then when you're ready you can take 2391 on a 3 day course I think. Try a local college of technology, they should do evening courses.

did my 236 parts 1 and 2 in one year..
my work colleague had done part one the year before so I asked to be on the same course as him so work wouldn't be affected by the 2 different day release days..

bear in mind that for the preceeding 3 years I was doing ONC in electronics and elecrtical engineering..

gotta love YTS and companies that treat young uns like slaves..

4 days a week getting paid £29.50 a week first year, £32 for the next 2 years.. then £2.81 an hour for the year after that..

sparkyspike said:
Qualified in 6 months!
Only on paper though ;)

zappa said:
Sort of makes my 4 year apprenticeship & HNC day release seem a bit over the top then....

Not at all.The longer it takes the more you will take in, plus on the job training as well - invaluble:cool:

zappa said:
sparkyspike said:
Qualified in 6 months!

Sort of makes my 4 year apprenticeship & HNC day release seem a bit over the top then....

Of course there's no substitute for experience/apprenticeship. But fast-tracking like this is an option if you're working and don't have much time. Plus if you're working for an electrician as an improver, you'll get much more pay if you're already qualified.

Ah...experience. Even after all these years it's still something I get just those few seconds after I needed it.

didthathurt said:
Ah...experience. Even after all these years it's still something I get just those few seconds after I needed it.

I know that feeling. :LOL:

sparkyspike said:
But fast-tracking like this is an option if you're working and don't have much time.

This fast tracking lark sounds easy. Where can I find a 6 month course in law. Have you seen how much those barristers get per hour???

Hi guys thanks for the help (i'm the other half)

I have a bit of cash spare , and was going to sign up to a collage course 2 years at 2 evenings a week and the last year at 1 evening a week , now this seems like a long time . i understand its a big course but i'd prefer to just get stuck in and get it done :cool: , so my question is would this course be any good TEC20 20 day course http://www.techniquetraining.co.uk/Course.aspx?catid=2 , or would you rekon the 3 year course would be better

Thanks Aston :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back