Electricians forum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as some of you will probably be aware for a while there has been a private forum set up on DIYnot for Registered Gas Installers called the "Combutsion Chamber".

I have asked admin about the posibility of setting up a similar forum for electricians. I am aware there is not the same type of scheme for electricians as the plumbers have for corgi so the suggestion I put forward was for members to be considered on an Electrics UK post count.

What does everyone think?

Sponsored Links
Hi, as some of you will probably be aware for a while there has been a private forum set up on DIYnot for Registered Gas Installers called the "Combutsion Chamber".

I have asked admin about the posibility of setting up a similar forum for electricians. I am aware there is not the same type of scheme for electricians as the plumbers have for corgi so the suggestion I put forward was for members to be considered on an Electrics UK post count.

What does everyone think?

Sounds good to me matey
;)

I am not an electrician but I personally learn alot from the replies on the electrical forum and have a real interest in the discussions that pop up.

If there was a private forum for sparks only then my knowledge source would dry up as with my meagre post count I wouldn't be granted access. :LOL:

I always thought that half the reason behind the "Combustion Chamber" was to allow the incessant arguing between the members to carry on behind closed doors ;)

I vote with bongos :D
Or I would if there was one of those vote thingies at the top of the thread.
Bongos – if we say hello to each other on here 5,000 times they might let us in to the secret forum ;)

Sponsored Links
:confused: How would you qualify for this secret-squirrel forum?

Would you have to be on the certified installer scheme? :?:

screw/solder pipe together put some washing up liquid on the joints, light a fag, turn on gas and look for bubbles.
That should go in the plumbing Wiki “How to connect your boiler” :LOL:

I am not an electrician but I personally learn alot from the replies on the electrical forum and have a real interest in the discussions that pop up.

If there was a private forum for sparks only then my knowledge source would dry up as with my meagre post count I wouldn't be granted access. :LOL:

What I was thinking was more of along the lines of the electrical/engineering talk as opposed to boring the life out of DIYers talking about the likes of High integrity earthing for 20 pages!! Also issues which can effect safety could be discussed between tradesmen.
The normal Electrics UK posts will stay where they are, unchanged. Like I said at the top, I suggested the post count as a method of granting access should it go ahead, if anyone can suggest another fair method please feel free.

I always thought that half the reason behind the "Combustion Chamber" was to allow the incessant arguing between the members to carry on behind closed doors ;)

Possibly, I imagine things which can effect gas related safety which are not suitable for the eyes of the general public might also be discussed in there. If you like I can ask one of the plumbers what goes on in there!

I vote with bongos :D
Or I would if there was one of those vote thingies at the top of the thread.
Bongos – if we say hello to each other on here 5,000 times they might let us in to the secret forum ;)

I'll have to ask admin/mods if they can do this as there isn't an option in electrics UK.

:confused: How would you qualify for this secret-squirrel forum?

Would you have to be on the certified installer scheme? :?:

The qualifying issue is still open, it isn't mandatory to be a member of a scheme to be an electrican which is why I wanted to avoid this (and I ain't a member :LOL:), I suggested the Electrics UK post count as one fair way of doing it.
Would it be worth considering a mixture of both?

Bad idea, keep it in the open. People are going to try diy electrics anyway, they can buy all the stuff in the sheds, so its better they can come here and get proper advice. And you can usually tell the difference between those who have a good idea what to do and others who have'nt a clue.
The intention is not to do away with DIY electrics on the forum, just a private area for the electricians/engineers talk.

I can see merit in the two-tier system.

SittingOnTheFence.jpg

Don't like the idea of entry based on post count as this would just allow those that talk the most to enter.

I do like the idea of a more technical forum where topics can be discussed in depth but do understand that entry criterion could be seen as elitist if it's based on qualifications.

It is, of course, a good idea for the professionals who contribute to this forum to be able go into private to argue over interpretations of regs, rather than to be seen to disagree in front of DIYers.

There are other fora which do just that, having a trade section only open to bona fide professionals, but this site is primarily for DIY advice and perhaps it should remain that way.

Why make it private?

Just a forum alongside the DIYnot one where you can go if you want to discuss & debate subjects in great detail so as to avoid filling up the site with stuff DIY'ers may well not be interested in.

Good point, one valid reason I will sound out for making it private would be for anything on safety grounds for example if we were to discuss something like live working.

I'm not so convinced it's a good idea though if it does go ahead I'll obviously want access :)
I think the regular DIY'er would lose an added interest in talk between electricians and jobs not entirely relevant to DIY

Good point, one valid reason I will sound out for making it private would be for anything on safety grounds for example if we were to discuss something like live working.

I replied (above) before reading your last comment.
I can see an advantage if it was run that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back