Electricians forum

...but this site is primarily for DIY advice and perhaps it should remain that way.

DESL sums it up for me here. I've never been on the IET site but I bet some 'discussion' regarding regs goes on in there for the trade. :LOL: At the end of the day I think most diyers who look for advice on here just want to know that they are doing things safely (and hopefully legally). Don't think they're that bothered with the like of FR's comments on high integrity earthing (where is FR now anyway?)

I haven't ever spent much time in the plumbing pages of this site but when I have had a look the seems to be alot of disagreement and abuse which the Electric UK pages rarely seems to stoop to anyway. :LOL:

I wouldn't get a weekly stab at Picture of the Week™ ;)

Sponsored Links
I always thought that half the reason behind the "Combustion Chamber" was to allow the incessant arguing between the members to carry on behind closed doors

Possibly, I imagine things which can effect gas related safety which are not suitable for the eyes of the general public might also be discussed in there. If you like I can ask one of the plumbers what goes on in there!

well you could allways ask me, but Im sorry to have to disillusion you about plumbers as Im a JIB approved electrician.

as well as being a corgi registered commercial gas engineer ;)

Can you tell us why plumbers are argumentative and electricians calm?

Sponsored Links
This part of DIYnot is usually the liveliest and most interesting in the forum. It would detrimental to the whole site to introduce more apartheid, by making some more of the discussion secret.

Of course some of the debate isn't relevant to DIYers, but most people know how to skip over what doesn't interest them. It helps if people don't use the subject line 'Just a quick question' (there should be a rule against that) but are a bit more specific.

Splitting Electrics UK between DIY/professional and keeping both parts open to all sounds good: except that then, most of the posts would begin 'Not sure if this is in the right place ...' which could defeat the object.

Not being a proper sparks I wouldn't normally dare to post here (apart from with a question) but I've learned a lot here and would like to be able to do so in future. And there's no need to be shy about talking about live working: people like me will still do it when it's necessary. So why not tell us how it should be done?

It is, of course, a good idea for the professionals who contribute to this forum to be able go into private to argue over interpretations of regs, rather than to be seen to disagree in front of DIYers.

Reading the different views that practicing electricians have of interpretations of particular regs can also be useful for us DIYers in understanding the reasons for (sometimes seemingly bizarre) rules/regs.

Okay, so not everyone wants to read these discussions... so long as people keep the subject line generally relevant to the discussion, anyone that doesn't want to read can just move on by.... reading every thread isn't mandatory.

Put me down for the 'secret' 5th chamber...
I thought F.R. was reincarnated as 'screw forum is junk' ? either that or B.A.S. has him 6ft under his patio. :confused:

just leave it as it is.its not broken,no need to try and fix it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back