Electricity safety

I feel genuinely bad for you.
I wish I could tell you to get in touch with electricsafe or the electrical safety register and that they would come down hard and prosecute any 'tradesman' with such a low regard for electrical safety. Really do their bit for improving and protecting the electrical industry.
However if you do contact Elecsa/Eca NICEIC/ESC or NAPIT which are all the representative trade bodies of the electrical industry........
You will find that none of them care.
Sorry but however bad the electrical work is there is no electric safe or electrical safety register who will fight your corner.
Your best bet is legal advice or trading standards.
Good luck.
If he messed with your gas installation contact Gas safe I don't think they take to kindly to unsafe gas work.

Sponsored Links
Complete and utter mess. Don't pay him for your certificate. Try and get the name of electrician but to be honest this work was not done by an electrician. You will get no help from any electrical trade association. They are only interested in getting electricians to pay them fees to be a member of their inclusive or exclusive clubs.
You need trading standards but persue gas safety not electrical safety.

Sponsored Links
Your Local Authority Building Control may be interested in your electrics

If this is the overall standard of work, the LABC might be interested in all of it.

Excuse me for my ignorance but I am only the female owner and not in charge of the work. What is part p?
One of the parts of the Building Regulations, it covers electrical work in your extension in the same way that Part A covers the structural aspects, part B fire resistance, Part G the installation of the WC, Part L energy efficiency etc.

The reason I asked what I did is that depending what you told Building Control about who would be doing the electrical work etc, the advice here might need to be "you need to ask your electrician about that, as he is the one taking responsibility for it".

You sought advice here in August.
You ignored advice.
Good luck to you.

You ignored advice.
Good luck to you.

I thought that room looked familiar, actually, looking at past posts Building Regs have been all over that extension plus there were issues with getting plans approved - were they ever approved? Did BR have their eyes closed when they visited?

I hope this gets sorted but looking at the big picture, I'm pretty glad I don't live next door!

You ignored advice.
Good luck to you.

I thought that room looked familiar, actually, looking at past posts Building Regs have been all over that extension plus there were issues with getting plans approved - were they ever approved? Did BR have their eyes closed when they visited?

I hope this gets sorted but looking at the big picture, I'm pretty glad I don't live next door!

Building control have come at every stage of the work and approved everything. Now they are just waiting for the certificates for gas and electricity.

That's how the shoer room looks now. The gas meter has been moved outside.

Excuse me for my ignorance but I am only the female owner and not in charge of the work. What is part p?
One of the parts of the Building Regulations, it covers electrical work in your extension in the same way that Part A covers the structural aspects, part B fire resistance, Part G the installation of the WC, Part L energy efficiency etc.

The reason I asked what I did is that depending what you told Building Control about who would be doing the electrical work etc, the advice here might need to be "you need to ask your electrician about that, as he is the one taking responsibility for it".

You ignored advice.
Good luck to you.

We were already in a mess in August. Now we are trying to get rid of him. Not easy when he is convinced he has done a good job.

Building control have come at every stage of the work and approved everything.
I repeat, when you originally applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you would ensure compliance with Part P?

Complete and utter mess. Don't pay him for your certificate. Try and get the name of electrician but to be honest this work was not done by an electrician. You will get no help from any electrical trade association. They are only interested in getting electricians to pay them fees to be a member of their inclusive or exclusive clubs.
You need trading standards but persue gas safety not electrical safety.

Trading standard do not care all they told us was to write to him to fix his mistakes, but I do not want him back at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back