Correct process for Part P certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need so advice about getting some work certified. Started an extension and had the electrics almost completed when we lost contact with the electrician. Believe it was due to a dispute between the Builder and his electrician over money.

How do we go about getting the work signed off so that we can get buildings regs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll need to find an electrical contractor who will take over the work and certify it for you. This may mean that they'll want to do extra work to inspect the work so far before they'll take it on.

Surely LABC will cover the cost of certification if you have already paid them for notification of the extension?
Thats what I thought anyway
regards

If you have contact details of the builders electrician, why not get in touch with him and see how much he would charge you to finish the work?? (Not through builder!!)

Sponsored Links
Surely LABC will cover the cost of certification if you have already paid them for notification of the extension?
Thats what I thought anyway
regards

Its not the payment that counts, its the notification. Presumably the electrician/contractor was registered and therefore not obligated to provide pre-notification.

Its not the payment that counts, its the notification. Presumably the electrician/contractor was registered and therefore not obligated to provide pre-notification.

Likely, but if this is an extension, surely that would have been notified anyway? There is only one notification and one fee per build, based on the total value of the works.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The point I'm trying to make is that unless you specifically tell the LABC that the electrical work will be done by a non-registered person (and therefore requires pre-notification), then they will likely assume that the work is to be done by a registered person. So if now you tell them that no-one is going to certify the work and they should come and do it themselves, they might get ****ed off about it?

I guess that's for jazz-uk to decide: Get another electrician in and just accept a higher cost, or hand it over to the LABC and possibly have to deal with an irate inspector and all the hassle that goes with it.

I would say the first thing to do is speak to your building inspector.

IIRC there is a process known as "regularisation" specifically intended to deal with work that should have been notified but wasn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back