Electricity Suppliers - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From past experience when your supplier decides to up the direct debit even though your usage hasn't gone up and your on a fixed tariff its a sign they are having cash flow problems... and are probably on the verge of going bust. Its what happened with two of my suppliers just before they went to the wall.
That makes sense (from their viewpoint!). If I saw that happening to me (and they could not produce a credible explanation), I think I would probably cancel my DD and 'switch' pretty pronto!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
t looks as if I would save about £250 per year in the first two years of the 3-year Together Energy deal, in comparison with the 2-year E.ON deal being offered to me - and presumably appreciably more than £250 saving in the third year (when the E.ON price would presumably be appreciably higher) - so in excess of £750 saving over the three years

I dont trust the comparison site calcs on savings. I looked up the actual kwh and daily standing charge rates and did the calcs based on historic actual energy usage.

I dont trust the comparison site calcs on savings. I looked up the actual kwh and daily standing charge rates and did the calcs based on historic actual energy usage.
I'm inherently non-trusting, too - so I do my own calculations. However, I have to say that I have yet to find any case on any of the comparison sites which (when supplied with my historical day/night usage figures) does not produce exactly the same answers as I get.

Some of the sites (like energyhelpline) actually present their detailed calculations, so that one can even 'check their working'.

If one does not tell the sites exactly what one's estimated usage is, any figures (including 'savings') they present will obviously only be guesstimates.

Kind Regards, John

If you have less than 12 months on your fixed tariff, they assume you will NOT switch and go on to the standard expensive tariff for the remaining of the 12 months.
The savings figure is calculated based on this. A legal / offgen requirement!

Sponsored Links
If you have less than 12 months on your fixed tariff, they assume you will NOT switch and go on to the standard expensive tariff for the remaining of the 12 months. The savings figure is calculated based on this. A legal / offgen requirement!
I'm not completely sure what you are saying - and, in fact, in my case it makes very little difference what one uses as the 'baseline' for calculating the 'saving'.

The comparison site I'm currently looking at (energyhelpline) (and I think the others are essentially the same) is perfectly correctly calculating what it would cost me if, when my present (E.ON fixed-price) tariff ends, it would cost for me if I fell back onto E.ON's "standard expensive tariff" - and uses that figure to calculate the 'saving' with whatever deal I'm looking at.

However, strange though it may be, that "standard expensive tariff" is only fractionally more expensive than the best tariff being offered to me by E.ON. As I said, the cost of electricity is identical (both day and night) for the "cheapest" and the "most expensive" tariffs on offer to me - and the only difference is a 6.6p per day difference in the Standing Charge.

Kind Regards, John

On uSwitch there is a box to select to prevent that.

Or use cheap energy club which is better.

Yes. I have been a member of the Cheap Energy Club (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/tag/cheap-energy-club/) for some years now.

It's free, and they keep tabs on your deal. When the fixed term deal is nearing completion, they advise you and provide a list of comparisons of energy supply companies. If you want to change to one, they do the lot for you. In many cases there is also a small sum (say £25) you receive for changing.

Yes. I have been a member of the Cheap Energy Club (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/tag/cheap-energy-club/) for some years now. It's free, and they keep tabs on your deal. When the fixed term deal is nearing completion, they advise you and provide a list of comparisons of energy supply companies. If you want to change to one, they do the lot for you. In many cases there is also a small sum (say £25) you receive for changing.
I've just been looking at them, and it seems that the prices they are quoting are a little bit higher (for the identical company/tariff) than is being offered on other sites.

In relation to Together Energy, the company I've been considering, the site warns that it is small company about which they have little feedback, and the reviews (about 40 of them) are, apart from a couple, pretty awful in terms of customer service!

Kind Regards, John

Well I would be very surprised if the price is higher. Either the name of the tarrif is wrong (easy mistake to make), it includes VAT when suppliers don’t, or the region selected is wrong.

Well I would be very surprised if the price is higher. Either the name of the tarrif is wrong (easy mistake to make), it includes VAT when suppliers don’t, or the region selected is wrong.
Exactly the same tariff name, same address. The differences are very small (and not enough to be of any consequences) - it was really just an 'observation'. I can't give any examples at the moment, because the MSE site is 'down'!

Kind Regards, John

Oh, yes, some places do pence to 3 decimal places! and there is a small variation in these 3 figures, which is insignificant

Oh, yes, some places do pence to 3 decimal places! and there is a small variation in these 3 figures, which is insignificant
The differences, although small, were not only in the third decimal place (which nearly all present). If I recall of the one I most recently looked at, the day rate was around 1p /kWh higher, the night rate very slightly lower and the Standing Charge 1p or 2p /day more. When the site is up and running again, I'll check. However, as I said, the differences were of no practical consequence, just 'interesting'!

Kind Regards, John

If you have less than 12 months on your fixed tariff, they assume you will NOT switch and go on to the standard expensive tariff for the remaining of the 12 months.
The savings figure is calculated based on this. A legal / offgen requirement!
yes -that makes the figures seem higher than they might actually be.

I remember that now, but couldnt remember the exact reason -so thanks (y)

money saving expert is a good place to get some feedback on energy suppliers

Bear in mind though, all reviews online are representative of those people that have been motivated to write a review, which could mean it isnt a random sample of customers -or in other words people are motivated to review when they are p*$£ed off.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772465

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back