Who Is The Best Dual Fuel Supplier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been flitting around a lot the last few years between suppliers, trying to get a decent deal which doesn't end up spiralling out of control.

My electricity consumption the last 6 months has been 4805 kWh and gas, 13564.

At the moment, I am paying £2100 pa.

I have tried First Utility and am now looking at Utility Warehouse but they don't give me any better prices than those I already pay...

Is £175 a month for dual fuel (5-bed house with 5 occupants) a good deal?

Sponsored Links
Don't use first utility. I was lumbered with them when I moved into my (rented) flat. Totally useless and VERY expensive. Have now moved to npower and quoted price was a saving of about £400 pa. Don't have usage figures to hand but npower came out the cheapest when I was looking into it.

Who Is The Best Dual Fuel Supplier?
It used to be Lincat, but then they sold Mercury Appliances to Aga Rangemaster, who promptly set about doing what so many companies do in those circumstances, which is to destroy the quality of the products which they had been struggling to compete with because their own were not as good, and which is why they buy their competitors - not to acquire superior products but to remove them from the market.

Sponsored Links
My electricity consumption the last 6 months has been 4805 kWh and gas, 13564.
Prices aside, you use more gas and electricity in 6 months than I do in a whole year. Although your house is bigger, that usage still seems grossly excessive.

12 months May 2015 - April 2016: 3999kWh electricity, 11182kWh gas. 3 bed detached, 2 adults 3 children. £67/month, Scottish Power.

Cheshire has a different climate to Sandbanks. Or even the tattier parts of Bournemouth.

I dunno if I have queried this before, but would replacing my 35 year old Ideal Mexico with an A+ rated unit make an appreciable saving?

:LOL:

I was considering Which?'s best buy range Bosch Greenstar.

Hopefully that would lessen the downtime....:sneaky:

No "unnecessary" replacement boiler will save you money when you consider gas savings against capital outlay and increased complexity.

Four bed semi. Two retired occupants.
Real 10 yr averages :
Gas total 21,000 kWh (Last 6 months actual 15,396 kWh).
Electricity Total per annum 3,316 kWh pretty equal per month.
DD £88 pm. Projected real cost, current tariff, based upon 10 yr average usage = £84.73 pm.
We generally keep a warmish house 06:00 to midnight (20 to 21°C)

Ideal Mexico RS60. Installation Instructions and User's instruction sheets have August 1990 printed on front sheets, so boiler was installed after that and before 1994 when we bought the place. Been annually serviced late August every year since install. One Potterton EP 2002 programmer replaced, one thermocouple replaced during last 21.5 years.
Cracking piece of kit I reckon..

One old style Satchwell room stat (came with the house)... It just works !

Danfoss Ravi mechanical valve controls HWC (hot water cylinder) Non electric. ( 60°C supply at furthest hot tap )

No thermostatic rad' valves.

Electric fan assist oven, Gas hob, stand alone halogen cooker (another good piece of kit ).

Supplier Extra Energy dual fuel: Clear Fixed Price Oct 2017 V.1 Not the cheapest... Are they any good ? Well, I do my own precise reckoning therefore do not mind that they read the meter once or twice per annum. I think the suppliers may be similar in that whenever I supply reading or they read the meter they change my DD, if I don't agree I counter with my own calculated suggestion, 'tis all give and take I'll be in hand during the easy seasons, this will be reduced to a couple of quid either way end of winter.

I don't want anything more from my supplier. Just power and bill.

upload_2016-5-23_9-8-49.png

Inclusive of VAT.

-0-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back