Electricity Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to the BBC online news this morning it appears that the Department of Energy and Climate Change are forecasting that in 10 years time we will be relying on wind & solar producing 40% of our electricity. On that basis in the middle of winter on still days we are likely to lose around 30% of our power. Stand by for power cuts when you most need it.

Sponsored Links
According to that site, our demand is currently 37.16GW, but the total of the illustrated forms of supply comes to 33.18GW.

I assume that the shortfall is made up by electricity we buy from the Frogs.

More importantly, wind power hailed by the Greenies is presently 0.78GW = 2.1% of our total power output, and yet I see windmills everywhere I look. If they're hoping for wind power to supply 40% of our energy in the future, I expect that there will be so many windmills that we won't have room for any houses!
And even then, on a still day they'll be completely useless.

Sponsored Links
More importantly, wind power hailed by the Greenies is presently 0.78GW = 2.1% of our total power output, and yet I see windmills everywhere I look. If they're hoping for wind power to supply 40% of our energy in the future, I expect that there will be so many windmills that we won't have room for any houses!

Worse than useless.

On a still day they use electricity generated by fossil fuels or nuclear to turn the blades so the bearings don't flatten.

Worse than useless.

On a still day they use electricity generated by fossil fuels or nuclear to turn the blades so the bearings don't flatten.

And to make it look like they're doing something?

Does it have to be either/or ? Is there a place for some wind turbines - perhaps to support villages, or certain regions where it is more effective?

How much is the 2.1% quoted worth and do we know what it is projected to be worth in ten years time?

Two problems with wind turbines:

1. Are they carbon neutral? - they won't last for ever and will need to be replaced at great expense sometime.

2. As several have said, they don't work. I remember two winters ago on a bright, freezing cold morning seeing turbines in the distance doing nothing. High pressure in the winter means no wind and bitter cold, just the time when we need the power.

Slowly but surely there are scientists coming forward who are prepared to challenge the accepted wisdom of 'man-made climate change'.

This myth is causing the developed world - and particularly Europe - untold economic damage in terms of artificially high energy costs and restrictions.

Problem three

In strong winds the turbines have to be shut down to avoid the risk of over speeding which leads to various amounts of damage and /or thrown blades.

If the braking system cannot hold the shaft within safe limits the gear box and generator suffer severe damage.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2013/08/20/turbine-goes-up-in-flames/

The fire cannot be put out as fire brigade equipment doesn't reach and falling embers and flaming oil are a hazard. The materials burning produce toxic fumes, some of the materials cannot legally be burnt at ground level.

And closer to home. a few years ago.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/201...flames-as-hurricane-force-winds-hit-scotland/

2. As several have said, they don't work.

you mean, of course, they don't all work, all the time.

There are periods of total calm, but more often than not, wind is blowing in one place and not in another.

I'll be pleased to see tidal barrages getting built.

Slowly but surely there are scientists coming forward who are prepared to challenge the accepted wisdom of 'man-made climate change'.

That's not really true.

There is a trickle of people who have no particular knowledge of climate, and a constant trumpeting by people who know nothing about anything.

The thing which amazes me is the fact that we are an island, and all around our coast the sea rises and falls twice a day every day without fail, yet all the money goes to unreliable wind & sun. Also we have a range of hills running through most of the country with fast flowing streams and rivers running off them and don't and tap them for hydro power, and there must be hundreds of derelict water mills which could be cheaply converted.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back