Electrics + Bathroom Clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

I've been reading about zones (on your excellent wiki!), RCD and have been searching other forum posts around using electrical equipment in the bathroom.

Always grown up knowing not to mess with water and electricity so I'd like one simple clarification if there any kind souls out there?!

- I'd like to use an Oral-B toothbrush charger (looks to have a shaver plug, we currently use it with a 3->2 prong adapter outside the bathroom) and an OxyJet device (looks to have the slightly fatter Euro plug) in the bathroom.

- There are currently no electric/shaver sockets in the bathroom (beyond however the boiler is wired up in a small cupboard).

- There is a standard 3-prong socket in the adjoining utility cupboard. I do not believe this is currently RCD protected as when I trip the RCD switch it remains on.

- My question is this... Can I plug an RCD adapter into this socket, then run an extension cable/block into the bathroom and safely use it (with a couple 3->2 prong adapters) ensuring the end of extension block stays within zone 2 or beyond? Or is it NEVER advisable to use an extension cable in this manner?

I understand the best solution would be to install a shaver socket by a qualified electrician but as I am renting the property I'm not sure the landlord would want to carry out this work.

Thanks in advance for your patience and advice!

Sponsored Links
Read the paragraph about outside of the zones in the above wiki you linked to! In essence, if the socket can be taken to within 3m zone 1 I'd say no.

but as I am renting the property I'm not sure the landlord would want to carry out this work.
He probably won't want you to, either.

No I'm sure he/she wouldn't, but that wasn't my intention, hence the question about using an extension.

As I understand it then unless the socket is more than 3m from zone 1 then it's a no no, regardless of RCD (but I guess having RCD AND 3m makes it even safer).

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back