electrics to a wall tv

Hi again.

i planned to bury the power lead and an aerial lead.I have sky+ at the moment and the way its wired ,all that goes to the back of the tv is the power lead and aerial lead,the only other thing i could possibly need is a scart if i used a dvd plyer in that room.If the kids decided to use the ps3 in that room i could either use the scart or drape the hdmi cable down for the time they are using it.

Sponsored Links
I have sky+ at the moment and the way its wired ,all that goes to the back of the tv is the power lead and aerial lead.

That is installed wrongly. The picture quality via the aerial will be vastly inferior to using the scart or whatever other outputs the sky box has got.

You need a scart lead now to connect the Sky box. Also for any DVD player.
You most likely will need an HDMI lead at some point in the future (Sky HD, bluray player etc).
You should also consider that this TV won't last for ever, and a new one may well have other types of connection.

I wonder how well they work when one also transmits on 70cm band
If 70cm refers to the signal wavelength then that's so far away from the one used for the TV (5.8GHz AFAICT for the Sony system, 5.17cm) that it's hard to see how such a signal could affect it.

TVI with a difference. Not even sure if you would have any redress as it is TV user who has unlicensed transmitter.
Equally as hard to see, or in fact even harder, is how a company like Sony would be selling consumer electronics in this country which were illegal to use.

I have seen some really odd EMC problems with Police radio coming through on an electronic organ for example.
Probably had a DC coupled amp stage in it somewhere.

I wonder how well they work when one also transmits on 70cm band
If 70cm refers to the signal wavelength then that's so far away from the one used for the TV (5.8GHz AFAICT for the Sony system, 5.17cm) that it's hard to see how such a signal could affect it.
That's middle of 6cm band the reason that the bands are given the way they are is one band is harmonic of other so after 5.83Ghz it is satellite down link so not too bad but below that allowed 26db so filters would need to be good!
TVI with a difference. Not even sure if you would have any redress as it is TV user who has unlicensed transmitter.
Equally as hard to see, or in fact even harder, is how a company like Sony would be selling consumer electronics in this country which were illegal to use.
There are shared frequencies with Industrial, scientific and medical so maybe they are not breaking any rules but it clearly states "Users must accept interference"
I have seen some really odd EMC problems with Police radio coming through on an electronic organ for example.
Probably had a DC coupled amp stage in it somewhere.
More likely cables for speakers were wrong length. But all I was trying to say is if we are add extra radio bits we also add extra bit which can be subject to EMC problems. Having like most radio hams will gone out of my way to stop interference I have seen all too many odd causes in one case it was a rusty bolt on an aerial mast which was acting like a diode. 99% will work OK but what a problem the remaining 1% can be.

I now work QRP so no longer have that problem but that does not mean everyone does.

Sponsored Links
flameport,i used to have the scart in maybe you are right about the quality.I think i will run a scart as well .I think i will get the job done by a professional,my cousin is a sparky i will ask him.What do you think the going rate would be to get a sparky to do this job just in case i cannot get my cousin to do it for me ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back