Electrics to summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm planning to build a summer house and want to run electrics to it for sockets and lighting.
I can't run a cable direct from consumer unit.....so for sockets is it wise to take a spur from a ring by running of from existing socket in the house.

Lighting I presume this can't be taken from a socket is it viable to run a switched cable from existing lighting
Not sure of regs hopefully you guys can tell me
Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is notifieable work. Have you contacted the local council? By the time you pay them it will probably be cheaper to get a local sparks in who is qualified to self certify.

Sponsored Links
so for sockets is it wise to take a spur from a ring by running of from existing socket in the house.
It could be connected that way. Whether it is 'wise' or not depends on the loads it is intended to supply.

A spur from a ring circuit can be used for lighting if suitable fusing is provided.
Extending the lighting circuit from the house is probably possible, but would involve far more work and expense.

This is notifieable work. Have you contacted the local council? By the time you pay them it will probably be cheaper to get a local sparks in who is qualified to self certify.
It is not notifiable. Read the regs. Outside does not count as a special location.

The starting point is wrong here. You need to work out your expected load to determine the required rating for your pd.

New circuit?

The starting point is to determine the load, as that is the first value required to design the required circuit. The design process follows on from this point.
When the circuit is designed, you will determine if it is notifiable. The fact it is outside doesn’t make it so.

But the starting point is the load calculation. It may that taking a spur will limit the current below the required load. The distance is also a factor as volt drop may have an impact. There is also the issue of protecting the cable, looking at earthing and RCD protection. If the OP can take a spur, location is then a factor. If not, then it will be notifiable as there will be a new circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back