Electrocuted by a screw.

perhaps we should just scrap the whole idea of earthing altogether and just make sure the whole house is built on a big rubber mat. That way, if live ever shorts to a metal appliance and the user touches it, nowhere to go, so no shock!

Sponsored Links
Ah, the absolute lunacy of burying cables in / under / behind anything other than purpose built containment .... I know, 'where else?' A basic design fault in dwellings ?

P

Paul Cook (of IEE fame) is a massive fan of the "earth-free environment".

Do you know if Paul Cook recently worked in industry as a safety officer ?
Genuine question.

P

Sponsored Links
No, I don't. Why?

Do you agree or disagree with his thinking?

i can definately see that especially in the bathroom bonding where there is no good reason to can increase not decrease risk

a totally earth free environment can be very safe but needs to be tightly controlled to stop people violating it with extention leads

further it is generally supplied through an isolating transformer

an earth free environment with isolating transfomermer supply is almost certainly the safest situation for live working on electrical equipment for example

but earthing is just the simplest way for keeping stuff reasonablly safe in the fairly ad-hoc environment of general electrics

securespark said:
No, I don't. Why?

Do you agree or disagree with his thinking?

Worked in aerospace, having safety officer named Paul Cook, just wondered.
I'll have to read his words, but being non-sparky I doubt if I could add anything to the debate .. What you say ... 'par for the course!!'.

I would ask, in earth free environment I suppose water both hot and cold would need to be tanked before delivery ?
Wouldn't a direct flow of water, as from a tap, form a path to earth somewhere along it's delivery path ? Or have I totally lost the plot !!
P

I have read that the conductivity of tap water really isn't enough to pose a problem here. It is only conductive enough to be a problem if it has dissolved salts in it (which I suppose it can do if leaking out of a pipe into plasterwork and then onto something live).

In the USA an execution by the electric chair requires that the sponge of the headpiece is soaked in a saturated salt solution, ordinary tap water is no good.
It is interesting to note that electrocution has been rejected as a form of euthanasia for animals in the United States. The Franklin County Grand Jury was asked to look into this practice in its March 1988 Term and concluded: "We feel electrocution to be cruel and outdated. The most humane way is to put the animals to sleep by injection."
The Humane Society of the United States has adopted General Statements Regarding Euthanasia methods for Dogs and Cats in which it calls for the use of lethal injection as the "most humane" method available and classifies electrocution as inhumane.

...........it's ok for some States to execute people by electrocution though.

when some one is actually electrocuted (as in electric chair) they are actaully fried the current used mearly heats the body up and up etc literally frying the person

There is that scene in The Green Mile where the nasty bloke uses a sponge in tap water (or no sponge) and the condemned suffers a rather long and nasty death... :confused:

I guess the reason that electrocution is still allowed for execution but not animal euthanasia is that in theory, if you are strapped into the chair you have done something very very wrong. In theory. But an animal has little say in it and would probably rather not be subjected to euthanasia anyway.

Lethal injection is a "humane" execution. There are actually 3 injections, if I recall. The first is basically a general anaesthetic so one would presume that after that kicks in the condemned feels nothing.

Of course the quickest and most painless way is probably hanging as the trauma causes instant brain death. The guillotine cuts too cleanly and too low for this to happen...

This is a very morbid conversation!!!

why not install it in metal conduit and earth the tube ?
Just a thought!!

I think the three jabs cause:

anaesthia, paralysis, arrest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back