Electrocution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help,

I have just moved into a flat and I am very worried, in my bathroom I have noticed electricity cables attached to my sink pipes. Tho only thing I can think of is the previous occupier is playing a prank on me.

I am scared to touch the tap, how do I turn the wires off without getting electrocuted?

Thank You Kindly

Peter Olson

Sponsored Links
sounds like earthin. its designed to keep the potential between the pipes the same to avoid electric shock.
should be connected with an earth clamp and with yellow/green cable

Are these cables green and yellow striped?

It'll be the bathroom bonding as andy says, nothing out of the oridinary :)

I'm gonna take a guess, that its rented accomadation. If it is, then get straight onto your landlord, and ask them. As they shuld have H&S certificate in place for the electrics.

I expect no less from my tenants. But I guess I try to keep things above board!

Sponsored Links
PeterOlson said:
Please help,

I have just moved into a flat and I am very worried, in my bathroom I have noticed electricity cables attached to my sink pipes. Tho only thing I can think of is the previous occupier is playing a prank on me.

I am scared to touch the tap, how do I turn the wires off without getting electrocuted?

Thank You Kindly

Peter Olson
pete mate, this sounds like a joke on us, to be honest. What kind of sane person do you think exists that would take the time to attach mains voltage cables to household pipework, in order to "prank" the next occupier? I also cant believe you haven't ever come across equipotential bonding before (even if you didn't know its name) :eek:

Bazdaa, what makes you think its rented? Nothing i can see would suggest this. You sound like a know-it-all who doesnt really, and just suggests random things to make himself seem like he knows it all. We all know its equipotential bonding, so does pete now, why does he need a h&s cert to check this? In fact, the fact this bonding is there would suggest he has a safe install. I'm sure his landlord has better things to do than dig out old H&S certificates. Also how would a H&S cert prove that the previous occupier hadn't rigged the pipes with mains cables? :rolleyes:

As I said it was a guess, and hey I might be wrong. As I also said I would expect my tenants to do the sensible thing and call me, if they had any concerns.

One minute you guys talk about safety and now you say oh its bonding. The guy has not said what colours are showing ect. So it looks like your making a presumption about something you do not know about!

Also the landlord is supposed to have all of their required paperwork available. If they have to dig around for it, then thats their incompetence.

Crafty, I ain't getting dragged into anymore you and your cronies silly arguments. Now stick to what you know, and remember because you know about electrics, does not mean you know about anything else.

I'll expect one of your cronies to come along soon, to add fire to this. But you guys can play amongst yourselves, as I'm onto you!

were was the cat sitting, on the end of my boot normally, I hate them

time for a BOFh quote:

"I can install stuff on my desk - like a desk lamp!"

"You already have a desk lamp. A stainless steel one with the company crest. Anything else you might install could be dangerous!"

"You can't have a 'dangerous' desk lamp!"

"Yes you could. One that has the phase wire connected to the metal body instead of the earth wire would be dangerous."

"That's ridiculous, who'd make a lamp like that?!"

"My assistant, if you really annoyed him. And even then it'd be installed by a experienced systems administrator without your knowledge - like most good installations."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back