electronics

If I recall, we understood that all LED’s lost 2v and the resistor was used to limit the current to the diode to around 20mA...that’s all that was required for GCSE at the time (dealing with 15 yr olds).
Maybe others can comment?
John :)

I'm not sure, I thought the resistor was used to drop the 9v to 2v at which voltage the LED will pull 0.02 A ?

Sponsored Links
When that book was written, the LEDs available were either red or green, with a current requirement of around 20mA and a forward voltage of 2v so calculations were based around those figures, using a 9v battery.....obviously things have moved on beyond recognition now.
Bearing in mind the book (of which I have no connection beyond meeting the author) and is aimed at yr10 to yr11 pupils it was more than adequate at the time.....the entire contents had to be taught in one year apart from the logic gates which took us another month. The kids then created a unique electronic project of their own and then sit a written exam at the end. Pity I didn’t have the opportunity to study this, but I can say the kids got a massive buzz from the subject.
John :)

The LED will always have a fixed voltage across it...in this case 2 Volts, it's a characteristic of the LED structure.
So whether you are energising the LED from a 9V battery or 330V DC from rectified mains it's always 2V.

So we can determine the voltage developed across the resistor from the difference between the batteries 9 Volts and the LED Volt drop of 2 V giving us 7 Volts.
Now we work out the resistor value for the required current to flow through the LED based on ohms law ie. Volts/Current

(9V - 2V) / 0.020A = 350 ohms.

And if we were powering our LED from 330V...

(330V - 2V) / 0.020A = 16,400 ohms

Sponsored Links
The LED will always have a fixed voltage across it...in this case 2 Volts, it's a characteristic of the LED structure.
So whether you are energising the LED from a 9V battery or 330V DC from rectified mains it's always 2V.

So we can determine the voltage developed across the resistor from the difference between the batteries 9 Volts and the LED Volt drop of 2 V giving us 7 Volts.
Now we work out the resistor value for the required current to flow through the LED based on ohms law ie. Volts/Current

(9V - 2V) / 0.020A = 350 ohms.

And if we were powering our LED from 330V...

(330V - 2V) / 0.020A = 16,400 ohms

Yeah, but you'd need a heafy resistor rated at ~7W

I'm not sure, I thought the resistor was used to drop the 9v to 2v at which voltage the LED will pull 0.02 A ?

Now now, slightly older self, that's not right. The resistor is limiting the current the LED pulls at it's Vf.

I went through valves, transistors, IC's - more or less ending up constructing early computers from components I had to import - it was too early for them to be available in the UK. In the day, I designed and built because there was much less available back then ready built, than there is now. Ready built is much cheaper than sourcing and building yourself, if what you want is available ready built.

Simple kits are a really good starting point, with all the components you need in the box, even better if the kit serves a some useful purpose. Components are not so readily available as they used to be, when most towns had electronics shops around, so ordering by post is the only way. Gone are all the war surplus electronics dealers apart from one or two. Ebay is a good source of components, either from the UK, or after a months delay even cheaper from China.

A soldering station is almost an essential investment, but a basic soldering iron would do as a starter, plus a multi-meter. The range and cost of other test gear is vast, best acquired only as needed, if it is needed and at a good price. I have acquired over the years a massive range, worth many thousands of pounds.

Joining an Amateur Radio club is a good idea, they may well have access to lots of experience and test equipment, plus maybe a licence at the end of it.

I have a Chinese soldering station, bought in Maplin several years before they closed. I took the precaution of buying several spares at the same time for it. It has been as good and reliable as the well known, much more expensive makes.It has LCD of set temperature and current temperature, with up/down buttons to set it.

Some of the stuff coming out of China is very good indeed. My oldest iron is an ex-GPO telecoms 50v one, probably Antex, from my years spent working for the GPO at the telephone exchanges.

May I suggest you have a look at the RSGB bookshop. The Foundation series of books to getting a license will give a good grounding in hobby electronics.

This thread seems to have got mixed up with my HAM radio one. The HAM radio malarkey is on hold until I have a suitable place to put an antennae up.

Anyhow back to the basic electronics, and regarding test equipment, Yes, you can seem to pick up second-hand kit for not a lot, there are loads of used oscilloscopes on eBay for example for not a lot (shame I don't know how to use one!)

May I suggest you have a look at the RSGB bookshop. The Foundation series of books to getting a license will give a good grounding in hobby electronics.

Many years ago, I pulled together a team of radio amateurs to produce a free online Foundation Licence Course and Full Licence course, as an alternative to attending college course or buying books, written mostly by myself. It was also available on CD, as a download from Simtel. Maplin also either gave it away with their catalogue or were proposing doing it.

Try a search for M1BYT and RAE Courses, it may still be around somewhere.

Anyhow back to the basic electronics, and regarding test equipment, Yes, you can seem to pick up second-hand kit for not a lot, there are loads of used oscilloscopes on eBay for example for not a lot (shame I don't know how to use one!)

Amateur Radio is bound to come up, whenever electronics is mentioned ;).

There is a very handy little, opensource, low frequency storage scope, colour screen and converted from some sort of Iplayer device. Last I saw were around the price of a second hand scope.

Many years ago, I pulled together a team of radio amateurs to produce a free online Foundation Licence Course and Full Licence course, as an alternative to attending college course or buying books, written mostly by myself. It was also available on CD, as a download from Simtel. Maplin also either gave it away with their catalogue or were proposing doing it.

Try a search for M1BYT and RAE Courses, it may still be around somewhere.

Hmm, well from that search I got that you live or lived in west Yorkshire, your, old, maybe email address, your actual address and your phone number!

Sponsored Links
Back