email store / clean up

breezer said:
OE has a store folder.
I know.

i want to back it up (copy it) but as its contents aree too big, i want to remove the files i dont want.
As long as you're removing .dbx files, I don't foresee a problem.

i open the store folder and delete stuff i dont wnat.
Well try deleting .dbx files instead of stuff.

all files ar .dbx
So, start again then. Close OE (you are doing that aren't you?!), then delete the .dbx files, start OE again, and stand back in amazement.

If it fails, and you want help in diagnosing the cause, then post the thing that you did immediately before it fails, and the behaviour that you interpreting as a failutre.

If you continue to post "I deleted stuff" and "I deleted a folder" and "I deleted files" interchangeably and randomly, then I don't see any way in which anyone can possibly help you.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Don't give up Softus this is funny - it's like a "Two Ronnies" sketch.
A news report just out:

Following an alleged incident of animal abuse perpitrated by a popular Irish musical group, the talented brother and his three sultry sisters have been permanently banned from owning any type of camel.

A police spokesperson says that there's no Corr's for a llama.

Sponsored Links
had sandwhich

i have deleted files within the store folder, since the store folder is where the emails are stored, how ever the contents of the store folder (size wise) stay the same. the files are called idk.dbx

idk being what i called them, dbx being the type of file they are.

does that help?

I am not trying to be alkward / obnoxious, to me it is crystal, i delete a file but the folder they arte in says its still there.

yes. its brand new.

it stores ok, its just that my stoe folder contenst are too big, hence my wanting to delete all the stuff i dont want, despite the fact that i have removed them from OE they are still in the store folder

I'd format the memory stick again. Then copy the files you want and save them elsewhere on your computer. Delete whatever files you want, then copy them to your memory stick.

done that. (but you were not to know)

my problem seems to be that the store folder will not let me remove any files, despite the fact i have deleted them

If you right click on the folder and select properties and then security. Make sure it's permissions are not set so that you can't do anything to it.

Breezer's 'Store' for .dbx OE files could look something like this :-
C:\Documents and Settings\Breezer\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{a Unique alpha numeric IDentifier}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\*.dbx

If you need to remove OE files .. delete folders through OE - both from 'Local Folders' then 'Deleted Items'.
Exit, then restart OE.. The .dbx file associated with the OE local folder of the same name should be gone from the 'store'.

If you should delete a .dbx file directly, say through Windows (file) Explorer, OE, on restarting, will recreate an empty .dbx file to match the existing local folder name.

:cool:

empip said:
If you should delete a .dbx file directly, say through Windows (file) Explorer, OE, on restarting, will recreate an empty .dbx file to match the existing local folder name.
Indeed so, and I thought we'd covered that some time back.

It's the following statement (particularly) that makes me feel like I'm standing on the wrong platform, waiting for a train to arrive that never will:

my problem seems to be that the store folder will not let me remove any files
Something has a software fault, and it isn't necessarily the computer. :rolleyes:

If deleting files, it may be useful to know :-

[url=http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/store.htm#storemain]Inside Outlook Express[/url] said:
Folders.dbx
This is the master index of an OE store folder and is required for OE to run. It stores the tree structure (nesting) of mail folders, the lists of newsgroups on each news account, and the synchronization options for all subscribed newsgroups and Hotmail folders. If it is missing when OE starts, OE will scan the store folder for all *.dbx files and then create a new Folders.dbx.
If Folders.dbx becomes corrupt, OE often stops displaying folders for existing *.dbx files, and sometimes will simply refuse to start. Also a bloated Folders.dbx can make OE run very slowly. Both problems can be repaired by closing OE and deleting Folders.dbx. Understand though that you will lose the mail tree structure, all lists of newsgroups, and all synchronization options, and that message rules will likely need to be edited.
===============
Inbox.dbx
Drafts.dbx
Sent Items.dbx
Deleted Items.dbx

These are the default mail folders, created automatically if missing. Should one of these stop working, move all messages into another folder, close OE, and delete the corresponding *.dbx file.
===============
Offline.dbx
This stores IMAP and Hotmail actions that you carry out offline, and are created only if an IMAP or Hotmail account exists
===============
Pop3uidl.dbx
This keeps track of messages left on a POP3 mail server, and is created automatically if missing. If OE starts downloading the same mail that you've already read, close OE and delete this file.
===============
Cleanup.log
This is created when automatic maintenance is enabled.
===============
<name>.dbx
This represents a user-created mail folder and its messages. The number of folders is limited only by your disk space, but don't let any one folder grow above 2Mb or so or performance is likely to suffer.
===============
<newsgroup>.dbx
This represents a newsgroup folder. All newsgroup folders are tied to the news account keys in the registry and so cannot normally be imported
:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back