end of terrace problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property is an end of terrace built approx 1900, i have lived here 16 years. About a year after moving in i noticed the concrete archway above front door was cracking. Called builder and it was taken down and rebuilt.
On inspecting the gable end wall noticed a number of cracks and had the whole wall hacked off rendered and dashed, during the works it was clear that the end wall had moved and bowed, i contacted my insurer who sent an assesor.
The movement was deemed to be historical and was not covered by the policy.
I recently had new windows fitted during which the arch above the one nearest end wall collapsed (had rebuilt)
I am about to start work having all bedrooms skimmed and i have stripped everything back exposing a gap about 2/3 inches wide the length of the end wall which was covered up by large coving.
I plan to have the inside of the end wall insulated before plastering due to some penetrating damp. My biggest fear is that there may be more movement and should i have the end of the house inspected before proceeding with anymore work. :confused: [/b]

Sponsored Links
Where is this crack - in the wall or at the wall/ceiling junction?

Despite being behind coving, recent or progressive movement behind the coving would have shown where the coving was fixed to the wall or ceiling. Unless that is, the plaster has blown away from the wall

And as the walls are likely to be solid 9", then any structural crack on the inside would most likely show on the outside and crack the render.

In any case, a horizontal crack is not indicative of movement of the wall.

Photos would help

Do you mena 2/3 of an inch or 2 or 3 inches?

Woody says the crack is not indicative of present movement - true, but at 3 inches it's indicative of a bad problem, for insulation or otherwise.

A Surveyor wouldn't be a bad start, imho. At the very least he could put some glass crack guage on to check movement over the next few months.
What IS under that render ?

Do you live in an ex-Mining area? Pictures?

yes the property is in an ex mining area, the pine end was constructed using numerous different types of stone and bricks ( probably whatever was about at the time) and some sort of lime render ( not cement).
There would seem to be little tying the pine end to the rest of the property other than the roof trusses in the loft.
The difficulty is predicting whether some sort of straps would be sufficient to eliminate any possible future movement or if the problem has naturally settled down.
Previously there was vertical cracking to the exterior coating which was hacked of and replaced about 5 years ago ( no cracks visable).
I think for peace of mind a serveyor may be able to explain what options are available.
The interior hoizontal crack is about 2 to 3 inches wide along wall and ceiling joint.

Sponsored Links
Mmm - I asked about mining area, not becausee of the build material....but maybe what's underneath your house. It's possible the upper gable is stable - it's the rest that's moving away from it.

If this is a 3" crack running the length of the gable, I'd be interested to know how come it is not visible externally?

If the wall has dropped by this much, then that's a significant amount not to show up externally or at the front/rear corners.

If this crack has appeared in the last few years, then it should be covered by your insurance

Any photos?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back