Energy saving bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just changed a bulb from the conventional filament to an energy saving bulb. The light flashes on and off so I changed the switch and fitting and it still does this. I then changed back to a normal bulb and all works fine! I have tried a couple of different wattage energy saving bulbs with no difference. It is rather like a flourescent tube where the starter is faulty and the tube keeps flashing as though it needs a burst of current to get the bulb started.

When the switch is off so is the light. Only when you turn the switch on does it start this flashing, occassionally the bulb actually works where as the old style works every time.

The voltage shows a constant 240v and the swich is a Jeani door switch, press to break type. No dimmer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Been asked and answered many times

When the switch is OFF capacitive coupling between Live and Switched Live in the wiring to the switch allows enough energy to reach the lamp and make it flash. A well known problem with energy saving lamps. They save this very small trickle of energy until it is enough to make the lamp flash.

Putting a capacitor across the lamp will absorb this energy and prevent the lamp flashing.

Capacitor 0.047uF micro Farads 250 volts AC in series with a resistor 100 ohms

Which come pre-packaged as a contact suppressor from RS Components

RS Stock No. 206-7847
Manufacturer Evox-Rifa
Manufacturers Part No. PMR209MB5470M100

There are other sources of the contact suppressors

Been asked and answered many times

When the switch is OFF capacitive coupling between Live and Switched Live in the wiring to the switch allows enough energy to reach the lamp and make it flash. A well known problem with energy saving lamps. They save this very small trickle of energy until it is enough to make the lamp flash.
We're waiting to hear if the light flashes when off, or when on.

It may be useful for someone else whose light flashes when the switch is OFF.

Odd that the circuit can supply enough power for an incandescent but cannot support a low energy lamp.

Any chance of measuring the voltage ?

Odd that the circuit can supply enough power for an incandescent but cannot support a low energy lamp.
Any chance of measuring the voltage ?
As a couple of people have implied, I suspect the most likely explanation is that there's a dimmer which we haven't been told about (or lamps in series!).

Kind Regards, John

There is not a dimmer and the voltage is a steady 240V.
Interesting. Do I take it that, before changing the switch and fitting, you tried these energy saving lamps in another fitting and confirmed that they work OK?

Kind Regards, John

Hi John
I did after the event and they work fine. I have just checked some of the cable connections and the energy saving bulb seems to be more pulsing than flashing whilst yje conventional bulb is fine. I think the best thing is to rip out the wiring and starting again. It could be there has been an issue not noticed becuase we always had a conventional bulb until now.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back