dimmerble light bulbs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that even some energy saving bulbs which are designed to work with dimmers some times dont work properly, due to the wattage, the buld is a 20 watt bulb but the switch states in requires a 40 watt bulb so you will have to use to bulbs to get the required wattage to make them work like they should do.
All I have is 1 light fitting I want to use 1 energy saving bulb with my dimmer which is 40 w to 250 w.
I would rather not use the old style bulb if I can help it, could anyone give me some advice as to what bulb I should get, or what is the best way I should do it.
thanks

Sponsored Links
I can foresee a lot of multiple walllights and ceiling lights being sold in order for people to keep their dimmer switches although dimming will lower the wattage somewhat, it might end up negating the whole purpose of energy conservation in the first place?

I can foresee a lot of multiple walllights and ceiling lights being sold in order for people to keep their dimmer switches although dimming will lower the wattage somewhat, it might end up negating the whole purpose of energy conservation in the first place?
thats what i was thinking whats the point in having them, but what the little lady wants she gets and she wants a dimmer with a single energy saving bulb.

Had a quick look and havn't located any dimmers lower than 40w.

One option would be to change the switch for a normal switch, or dummy switch module, and then use one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LASD20BC.html

But that might not be the result you are looking for, especially if it is a little old lady.

I'll keep on eye out for lower wattage dimmers.

Doubtful

Sponsored Links
like any dimmable flourescent they have to be "burned in" or conditioned first, it used to be the rule of thumb was burnt in for 36 hours at full but the recommendations seem to have changed and more than a week is now the rule.

We have been doing this at work for ages and I tried it at home and it has helped the troublesome ones from trying to flicker and they work fine now without any ballast load.

One would hope that in future manufacturers will burn in dimmable lamps as standard instead of charging extra for it

For good advice from the world's leading experts on all things flourescent visit the Lutron website.

And the worlds most complicated to set up and program dimmer panels :LOL:

:LOL: The FAQ's have been dumbed down to appeal to most non technical visitors to the site but search on for the technical pdf's as they are excellent and show several ways of wiring systems, making sure of earthed metalwork close to the glass of the tubes to aid in starting and running and also the mention of "seasoning the lamps" etc etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is american based so some technical advice is directed at 60hz supplies but the general theory is sound.

widdler";p="1324951 said:
Had a quick look and havn't located any dimmers lower than 40w.

Varilight produce a low load dimmer specifically for the purpose of dimming single good quality dimmable CFL's.....problem solved.

Get them from TLC or any other decent wholesaler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back