Energy saving lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although in my home it is easy to convert to discharge lights with the withdrawal of tungsten bulbs what will I be able to do with my car?
Although some cars are fitted with LED rear lights I can't see how I could retro-fit these. And the head lamps using those blue bulbs seem to cost an arm and a leg.

Yes with car Bulb is correct word. Lamp refers to what many domestic electricians call a fitting.

Sponsored Links
Not as far as I know. Though LED rear lights and sidelights are a lot better than their tungsten counterparts.

I dislike Metal Halide headlights because of the annoyance to other motorists.

Sponsored Links
However not really an issue, since the government is now paying people to scrap old cars anyway.

Only if you buy a brand new one which will then depreciate by 50% of it's value in one year.

Always better off buying 1 year old cars than new.

the term "lamp" applies to the "tube", "bulb" or whatever else you want to call it..

fitting is the permanent part that screws to the fabric of the building and that the lamp screw, or slots into

now, the reason car headlights are not being affected is a new government proposal to ban any non-essential driving after dark and to issue permits to those who can show a valid reason to have to drive after dark, such as taxi drivers, bus companies, emergency services etc.
this coupled with the new regulations on taxi's requiring them to be at least hybrid cars will reduce un-necesary greenhouse emissions..
the latest all electric ambulances and fire engines are being designed as we speak.

those who have to drive to and from work whilst it's dark during the winter will be granted limited use permits that allow for such journeys but only from and until a certan time ( 0500 - 1900 for example ) and anyone caught driving outside of these permitted times will recieve a fine and penalty points.

now, the reason car headlights are not being affected is a new government proposal to ban any non-essential driving after dark and to issue permits to those who can show a valid reason to have to drive after dark, such as taxi drivers, bus companies, emergency services etc.
this coupled with the new regulations on taxi's requiring them to be at least hybrid cars will reduce un-necesary greenhouse emissions..
the latest all electric ambulances and fire engines are being designed as we speak.

those who have to drive to and from work whilst it's dark during the winter will be granted limited use permits that allow for such journeys but only from and until a certan time ( 0500 - 1900 for example ) and anyone caught driving outside of these permitted times will recieve a fine and penalty points.

LOL You crack me up. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the term "lamp" applies to the "tube", "bulb" or whatever else you want to call it..

fitting is the permanent part that screws to the fabric of the building and that the lamp screw, or slots into

Yes good I do like it.
As to Lamp v Bulb I have seen many a big headed main electrician caught out when asking for a head lamp. He wanted a bulb but he for some reason asked for a lamp. Which in the Auto Trade is the complete thing. It all goes back to the horse and carriage days where the carriage had a spigot which the lamp when required fitted on to. When the Carbide lamp was replaced with the Electric lamp the unit looked similar except the burner was replaced with a bulbous piece of glass with a filament in it. And because of its shape it was called a bulb. Although now replaced with LED lights until a few years back Bicycles still had this arrangement with a spigot at the front onto which the bicycle lamp fitted. When parked the owner could remove it and use it as a torch.

Of course with low voltage lighting in building some lumenaries were tube shaped and so would have been give that name i.e. Florescent Tube. However I have not seen them referred to as Florescent Lamps. Why a minority of electricians want to call one small part of the Lamp a "Lamp" instead of a bulb or tube beats me. They try to then coin another name for the Lamp and call it a Fitting. However they keep getting unstuck when people want to mount old style Carriage Lamps at their door ways and it causes confusion.

However there are other similar problems where New York and Wrexham refers to both City/Town and State/County and with Wrexham County it is only an administration area so parts of Wrexham are still called Denbighshire and Flintshire. So we electricians have a long way to go to catch up with the Government.

What a tangled web we weave!

I dislike Metal Halide headlights because of the annoyance to other motorists.
Are you talking about all MH systems, or only aftermarket conversions, which can easily be poorly or even illegally installed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back