Which's guide to lamps!

I also called it GU5.3 instead of G5.3.

So is it GU5.3 or G5.3??

Seems like it is GU5.3

i.e. http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mr16-led-lamp-gu5-3-346lm-5w-warm-white-pack-of-5/4698g & https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAXM58G.html

As I wrote in my original post, most MR16s (at least, ELV ones) will have GU5.3 bases, but what you call 'simplicity' would probaly be better termed 'misleading' in the cases which deviate from that 'common' pattern.

But for the consumer, Simply calling it MR16 is sufficient as they are unlikely to use a non GU5.3 base type MR16 type lamp, and thus so the GU5.3 is omitted. I have always known them as MR16 lamps. GU5.3 is a new term for me....

And talking of the mogul base (E39 or E40 :rolleyes:), how common is that in the UK. What base do 400w HPS lamps use?

Sponsored Links

So is it GU5.3 or G5.3??

Seems like it is GU5.3

i.e. http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mr16-led-lamp-gu5-3-346lm-5w-warm-white-pack-of-5/4698g & https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAXM58G.html

As I wrote in my original post, most MR16s (at least, ELV ones) will have GU5.3 bases, but what you call 'simplicity' would probaly be better termed 'misleading' in the cases which deviate from that 'common' pattern.

But for the consumer, Simply calling it MR16 is sufficient as they are unlikely to use a non GU5.3 base type MR16 type lamp, and thus so the GU5.3 is omitted. I have always known them as MR16 lamps. GU5.3 is a new term for me....

And talking of the mogul base (E39 or E40 :rolleyes:), how common is that in the UK. What base do 400w HPS lamps use?

Most MR16 lamps in peoples homes are GU10s. All those 240v spotlights in peoples ceilings are MR16, GU10s.

There is a giant ES base in the UK. Maybe that is the mogul base.

Most MR16 lamps in peoples homes are GU10s. All those 240v spotlights in peoples ceilings are MR16, GU10s.

To me and before I read this thread, I regarded MR16's as 12v and GU10's as 230/240v. I have until today considered MR16 and GU10 to be two different types of lamp bases.

What diameter and size is the GES cap and base, that is what a 400w HPS lamp apparently uses.

So is it GU5.3 or G5.3??

Seems like it is GU5.3
It's G5.3

G=Glass
U=Refers to either the ceramic cap, or the general U shape of the base (depending on who you believe, neither of which the G5.3 has)
10=10mm

G5.3 lamps do not have the ceramic cap so

G=Glass
5.3=5.3mm

GES is Giant Edison Screw, or E40

Sponsored Links

To me and before I read this thread, I regarded MR16's as 12v and GU10's as 230/240v. I have until today considered MR16 and GU10 to be two different types of lamp bases.

What diameter and size is the GES cap and base, that is what a 400w HPS lamp apparently uses.

Well you learn something every day.

Don't know what size a GES base is. Could maybe be 40mm.

As I said there are many items in the electrical trade which are incorrectly labelled. We see it near getting to blows over if it's a lamp or bulb.
What has happened over the years new items have hit the market place and to make it easy it has been named after the item it has replaced. So some one makes a spot lamp with a G5.3 base and a multi-faceted reflector which is 16 x ⅛" and for a time it is the only 2" spot lamp so we ask for a 2" spot lamp and we get a MR16 with G5.3 base. Then other alternatives hit the market place which are also MR16's so we have to start stipulating the base.

When they improved the starting system for fluorescent lamps they kept the old name of ballast and just added HF to it. With the transformer again when a new product came out we just called it an electronic transformer.

The regulation which says with a new build that the lamp holders must not take anything but energy saving bulbs was L2 so if we have a energy saving version of the GU10 we call it a GU10 L2 it has a dimple in the lamp which matches a spike in the holder. The B22d-3 was a similar thing government wanted to ensure we did not swap back.

So a GZ10 holder fits all the 10 mm Bayonet cap lamps, the GU10 will not allow the Dichroic type to fit so the back of the lamp will not over heat, and the GU10-L2 will only take energy saving however many of the energy saving lamps will not fit.

To my mind in most cases we know what is mean even if some one uses the wrong name. The LED driver is however the odd one out. In theroy a driver controls current and a power supply controls voltage however the two phrases seem to swap over and you can find a true driver 3 ~ 12 volt at 340 mA and a power supply 12 volt 0 ~ 500 mA both called a driver.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Anyone seen this before?
£100 a time and he's sold 176 of them! Some people must have more money than sense. :rolleyes:

The regulation which says with a new build that the lamp holders must not take anything but energy saving bulbs was L2 so if we have a energy saving version of the GU10 we call it a GU10 L2 it has a dimple in the lamp which matches a spike in the holder. The B22d-3 was a similar thing government wanted to ensure we did not swap back.
And if they actually think people won't just swap out the lampholder or the entire fixture, they must be even more stupid than we thought before. As a general contractor told me here a while ago, "I have a few low-energy fittings which so far have been up in about a dozen different new homes."

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you look at the purchase history he has actually sold them at £6-49. Still 6 times too much though.
Ah, I didn't look there. So none sold at the new £99.99 price so far then. I wonder why he decided it would be a good idea to hike the asking price up that high?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back