Engineering Certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are opening up our kitchen (taking away the external doors and part of a wall ) which will be getting replaces by a steel beam to support where the doors used to be to our extension ( currently at the planning permission part ) are engineering certificates a must for the use of the steel beam? would it be required if we were keeping the external doors as they are ? :confused: asking as we have been quoted a price of almost a thousand pound for the engineering certificate (which would include having a look at the current foundations and digging a test hole ) seems very expensive , any help will be greatly appreciated ,thanks

Sponsored Links
Not a lot of info but if you are talking about calculating a simple steel beam and taking a gander at a foundation I'm thinking I might consider a move up to Glasgow.

I would say no more than £200.

Not a lot of info but if you are talking about calculating a simple steel beam and taking a gander at a foundation I'm thinking I might consider a move up to Glasgow.

I would say no more than £200.

Thank's for your reply , they are also quoting £75 per hour after the original visit , seems a bit steep , does anyone know of any other prices around the country ?

LOL .... typical Scotsman :p

£75/h is a very good rate ... they charge £100/h here

But the overall quote of £1000 for this work seems very steep. Typically I'd say more like £500 all in for beam, pier and foundation checks.

But do you really need this designed? Can't you use standard lintels? Has your building control officer actually requested these calculations?

Sponsored Links
LOL .... typical Scotsman :p

£75/h is a very good rate ... they charge £100/h here

But the overall quote of £1000 for this work seems very steep. Typically I'd say more like £500 all in for beam, pier and foundation checks.

But do you really need this designed? Can't you use standard lintels? Has your building control officer actually requested these calculations?

Thank's for your reply , unfortunately they have requested the calculations , whether we use a beam or just replace the existing external door (which will become an internal door ) with new internal doors , seems like an awful lot of bother and expense for a single storey extension on a house that's only twenty -five year's young

Jeez just get some more quotes it ain't brain surgery. Pick a couple of one man bands rather than a large firm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back