Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are in the process of buying a house that got planning permission as a 'conservatory' but as it has opens into the house with no external doors, and has no independent heating it does not meet this criteria and is an extension.
We got an architect round who said the timber beam supporting the vaulted pitch roof should be steel to meet building regs. The current owners do not have a building regulation certificate.
Is this correct, does this ridge beam need to be steel? Attached is a photo.
I only ask because we want to extend this extension and concerned it may need a new roof is it doesn't meet regs.
Thanks!
Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 15.36.24.png

Sponsored Links
Your architect is an idiot. The beam could be made of sausages if it could be proved to provide adequate strength.

That's not to say what is built is adequate or not but his statement is incorrect.

What is the roof covering? If it's concrete tiles the answer will be different from zinc sheets.

Sponsored Links
I think it's safe to say it doesn't meet building regs overall. I'd be more worried about the foundations than the roof though.
If you want an extension it may be more economical to knock down and rebuild.

I think it's safe to say it doesn't meet building regs overall. I'd be more worried about the foundations than the roof though.
What makes you say this? Well the architect said we might want to do a test hole to check foundations. Don't know if we should just get a structural engineer to inspect it so we can get the cost of repairs knocked off before we buy.

What do you base that on? It could be junk it could be fine.

What makes you say this? Well the architect said we might want to do a test hole to check foundations. Don't know if we should just get a structural engineer to inspect it so we can get the cost of repairs knocked off before we buy.
My advice would be don't buy unless it's either suitable for you, or you plan to make it so.
I think the cheapest compliant repairs would be to reinstate the doors between the house and conservatory and remove the heating, but if you want an extension I would recommend getting the investigations done especially to the foundations, to avoid throwing good money after bad.
Depending how soon you plan to sell up can affect the equation too.

As Freddie says, the architect sounds like a bit of a silly sausage. I doubt he has any way of knowing if the ridge beam complies or not? Does he even know what is concealed by the t&g boarding?

Anyhoo, how old is this 'conservatory' and how do you plan to extend?

As Freddie says, the architect sounds like a bit of a silly sausage. I doubt he has any way of knowing if the ridge beam complies or not? Does he even know what is concealed by the t&g boarding?

Anyhoo, how old is this 'conservatory' and how do you plan to extend?
Thanks Jeds. He had no way of knowing what's under the boards (altho the surveyor said they won't be fire retardant so should be replaced, but that's a different issue).
It was built in 1997. We want to lengthen the room to the right but don't want any unexpected large costs if something isn't right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back