English - But not quite as we know it!

P

Paul_C

I scanned this 3 or 4 years ago while helping to assemble the item in question and just found the images again while tidying up some disks.

We've gotten used to some pretty poor translations these days, but this has to be one of the worst I've come across!

291gqvp.jpg

2gvvam9.jpg

2cyfg1s.jpg

24w699c.jpg

I hope that's made everything perfectly clear! :D

Sponsored Links
It reminds me of the french electrical installation book translated into english that someone on here kindly listed for us.
All the wires/conductors were referred to as "drivers".
The french "conducteur" had been translated into "driver"

And what's with the word 'gotten'.

Anyone using that should be taken out and shot.

Sponsored Links

And the next person who uses the term 'gobsmacked' will find out the real meaning of the word (if such a word exists)!!

Also, why have shop assistants started telling us to 'have a nice day'? Had this is Sainsburys in a suburb of Bristol recently. Where did she think she was, downtown LA?

Y'all have a nice day!! ;)

And the next person who uses the term 'gobsmacked' will find out the real meaning of the word (if such a word exists)!!

Also, why have shop assistants started telling us to 'have a nice day'? Had this is Sainsburys in a suburb of Bristol recently. Where did she think she was, downtown LA?

Gotten and "Have a nice day" are Americanisms, so I understand why they are frowned on, but what's wrong with gobsmacked?

Gotten and "Have a nice day" are Americanisms, so I understand why they are frowned on, but what's wrong with gobsmacked?

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Americans. Far from it. However, it just sounds a bit naff when Sandra on the fish counter at Morrisons goes all West Coast on you.

As for gobsmacked, why, when the English language has perfectly sensible sounding alternatives (eg. shocked, astounded, speechless, etc, etc), does a daft sounding word have to be invented. It's probably not so much about the word, more about the people who tend to use it.

Meldrew rant over. :confused:

As for gobsmacked, why, when the English language has perfectly sensible sounding alternatives (eg. shocked, astounded, speechless, etc, etc), does a daft sounding word have to be invented. It's probably not so much about the word, more about the people who tend to use it.

Indeed - It's a horrible term.

Gotten and "Have a nice day" are Americanisms

Ah, that incorrect belief again. Gotten is no more an "Americanism" than any one of thousands of other words which originated in Britain.

Gotten is very much an English word, even Shakespeare used the word in his plays.

And that should be English enough for anyone!

Besides, how many of those who seem to regard gotten as an "Americanism" which is to be avoided by anyone speaking "proper English" have a similar dislike for the word forgotten?

Forget - forgot - forgotten

Get - got -gotten

I'm gobsmacked that youse haven't gotten on to the fact that our Cilla made this word famous when she had a nice day. :LOL:

Is the origional text there Paul? Might be worth copying into babel, to see if it provides a better translation, your copy is just slightly worse than Ikea instructions. :D

When I went touring Europe, Belgium was a nightmare, ordering food - pointing at the menu - WHAT IS THAT? Being shown a sausage...Point at something else...shown a different type of sausage...again, another sausage...WHAT's THAT? Oh chocolate...

Onto Germany, camping, get a tin of potatoes, as are available in the UK. A quick boil, done. Being unable to read the instructions on how to cook them, and as they are so similar to the UK branded ones...

Fail. German potatoes in a tin, are RAW potatoes in brine, for some strange reason. NOT the pre-cooked versions we have here. Result - broken tooth.

Now to go into a German chemist to get Bonjela, as I'd previously seen the Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman? 'Is it safe'...tooth beyond repair and pulled on return to UK.

Shortly before this, my mate crashed his car at the Nurburgring, and smashed his Intercooler to pieces...ordering a replacement was impossible, so drove it home, Heath Robinson style.

Ah, that incorrect belief again. Gotten is no more an "Americanism" than any one of thousands of other words which originated in Britain.

True, color was an acceptable spelling in the UK hundreds of years ago, not sure about now though ;)

Sponsored Links
Back