Enlarging letterbox slot- asbestos worry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm planning to extend the letter slot on my flat front door as it's currently too small for almost anything to fit through. The flat building was built in about 1900. The front door has what seems to be a fireproof panel attached to the inside, which is painted, and I'm worried that it might be AIB, so I'm wary of going at it with the jigsaw. Is it likely that it is AIB, and if so, should I just leave well alone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
AIB was more common from the 50's onwards. 1900 seems too early, unless the door was replaced at a later date

IIRC, AIB tends to be thick - at least 10-12mm and is a bit soft like MDF - and you may be able to see fibres on the edges. But asbestos cement board can be thinner (about 5mm) and it a lot tougher

But the only way to tell is to get it looked at

Thanks for your reply. I'm not at all sure how old the door is, but the panel is about 5mm and looks hard rather than fluffy like MDF, so it sounds more like asbestos cement board. It's such a small job that I'm not keen to pay someone to look at it so I may just have to leave it.

Sponsored Links
just cut it, put a mask on, job done.
Totally negligent advice, given that there is no way of knowing what the door panel is made from.

A mask won't prevent fibres spreading throughout the building where they will be inhaled by the neighbours or any visitors.

Damp it down with water use jig saw, wear a mask, very little dust will be released, my jigsaw has a hose connection stubb to connect to a vaccum cleaner. Job done in a few mins.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back