Entire police unit resigns 'in disgust' because two officers were suspended for pushing elderly man

Our have had their moments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Blair_Peach

Press reports on one was that his skull was too thin. Reminded me of my grandad. 6ft+ policeman and playing with his truncheon and thinking they hit people over the head with them. He said no as it would kill them. If there is a need hit them on the shoulder which breaks their collar bone and disables them and hurts anyway.

So called kettling has caused problems. Not surprising really as kettles boil. It only takes a tiny fraction of people to misbehave.

BBC2 has been showing a history of modern britain. Some interesting police work in that as well. ;) Also might give some people a better idea of what actually happened to UK jobs in some areas. Insufficient info in some areas but .........

Sponsored Links
Would you advise this old guy to exercise his democratic right to put himself in harms way by walking into a line of riot police.
I'm guessing the fellow was attempting to make a voice heard. I reckon people are talking about it now.

at first glance I was assuming the officers resigned because of the mistreatment of the old guy, but supporting their fellow officers for that, FFS.

As an aside Galahad, it's great to see you post something of value and meaningful, rather than the usual ****e you post.(y)

Finally you agree boyo that Brexit is s hite.

We have reached the summit. :D

Sponsored Links
The old guy put himself in harms way by deliberately ignoring an order to move.

Then you are saying the Police are mindless thugs who cannot assess a situation - something which you would think is a key work requirement.

The police in the US are shredding what little respect they had left, even hard line Republicans are turning.

No doubt the Officers have a hard job but when they act like judge, jury and executioner in some cases they are not only stepping over their authrority they are corroding society.

They could have moved him by other means, surely?

I think we have the best Police force in the world - we need more officers. Sure there are cases where they have made errors and there have been coverups that tarnish the majority of officers but I really do feel they sometime get an overly bad rap at times.

The police chief in charge of the riot squad said his officers were only "following orders", that sounds ominous.

I understand your point and agree with it to a certain extent but the old guy should have known that he was in danger of provoking an overreaction from the police in such a tense situation.
I hope he recovers and carrys on protesting if thats what he wants to do.
Hopefully he will protest from a safe distance.
Please show me where he was provoking to such an extent he deserved brain injury..

he walked into a situation that most people would have recognised as been hazardous. Knowingly confronting a squad of riot police as they are preparing for conflict is a fairly reckless thing to do. I may admire his spirit but I am not remotely surprised at the outcome. Yes the police could have done better, but at the end of the day they are only human too, probably somewhat frightened and apprehensive about what lay ahead for them, many of the proceeding riots had contained much violence with a police officer being shot in the head at one.

The penalty for getting the the way of a violent thug who considers himself entitled to assault people at will, can be quite severe.

When you're in a group with a couple of dozen buddies, all armed, trained and in protective gear, a single old man must be very frightening.

Please show me where he was provoking to such an extent he deserved brain injury..
America being America the compo lawyers probably got to the old guy before the medics.
The police will payout to avoid a media circus of bad publicity and the old guy can hire someone else to do his protesting for him.

No you don't, in fact you never see any aggression from the British police these days. Help yourself to some trainers.

12394A8D-E02D-494F-B35E-DA9218FA9C51.png

On the subject of blaming the victim, wasn’t there a curfew in place? If so, that’s not quite the same as wrong place, wrong time - innocent bystander.

Sponsored Links
Back