Entrance door canopy repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to repair my front door canopy. I am DYI capable but I'm not sure how to approach this one.
As I was getting ready to repaint it I have noticed that some of the plaster is coming off. It would appear that the canopy is covered in plasterboard and then there is a thin layer of render on top of it and that is painted over:
p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpg
Where the plasterboard is exposed it is loosing integrity so I think that will need to be replaced.
I am thinking of stripping it all down to the timber, replace rotten timber if needed but from what I can see that is all solid and OK and then I cover it again with plasterboard?
Or should I just leave it as it is and just cover it with pvc soffit ?
The last option seems like the easiest and quickest but I am not sure if it is the right thing to do. However from what I can see that is what most of my neighbors did.
What would you suggest?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Won't be plasterboard, probably cement board or similar.
Remove the rotten stuff and replace with hollow soffit and upvc facing.

I think what has been done there, is that originally that was just a flat concrete slab, set in the wall as a sort of canopy. That slab has then had a timber frame added and a sloping roof, plus tiles. I would be inclined to take it back to it's bare concrete slab first, then rebuild it with a complete new timber frame. Rather than roof tiles, I see now you can buy fibreglass preformed tile effects, which will present a lighter load to the frame.

This sort of thing - https://shapesgrp.co.uk/products/fibreglass-roofing-sheets/slate-tiled-roofing-sheets/

Sponsored Links
OP,
Unfortunately I think the best bet for you is to strip the tile & felt from the roof - and then remove all rotted material. But, if possible, leave the rafters in place.
Completely remove the battered "fascia" & its backing pieces.
Its possible that a couple of rafter tails are rotted out.
Dont go fixing good materials over bad.
The soffit underneath the canopy seems to have been made of "something" skimmed with plaster.
When you have it all exposed then post a few more pics for further advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back