EOGB Burner with intermittent lock out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,

Im back cap in hand. Have a EOGB burner that is locking out intermittently but usually first thing in the morning. Was first called out to it when it wouldnt turn over. New capacitor sorted this.

Was still locking out so after checking spark, nozzle, fuel line, filters i decided to stick a new pump into it. This aint solving the problem.

From reading a few posts here would the next liable culprit be the solenoid coil? (Dont shout, im trying!!).

I was reading a post by oilman that you can test this and it should be 2.7 Kohm. How do i check without just sticking in a new one (i know I know!!!)

The control box is an LOA 21.

G

P.S. its in a redfrye boiler.

P.S.S. Its my next door neighbours boiler so its getting a tad embarrassing now!!!!

Sponsored Links
Sorry i forgot to mention. I changed the nozzle as well.

Burner works fine for hours so nozzle should not be at fault.

g

could be coil they do break down slowly sometimes when you took the old pump off did you check the coupling?

Sponsored Links
sorry didnt fully read the start of the post properly :oops:

intermitent lock out usually in the morning

i dont understand the logic of changing the pump

point being did you set the pressure correctly?
first thing in the morning usually denotes the oil is very cold, if the combustion is poor running weak, then cold oil will tip it and result in a lock out.
burners require to be set up correctly and its not a diy task to get the combustion correct.

morning only lockout can also be a small leak on oil pipe fitting as after a long period over nite it can get an airlock or lack of oil to start.
When it goes to lockout does it start first time or a couple of tryes.
and as the last guy said pump change was waste of time

Hi guys,

Im still relatively new to the oil game so bear with me. I only changed the pump because i was thinking about tight spots. Properly set the pump pressure etc when i changed it. Kept the old pump anyway so will stick that back in.

As for the coupling then it wasnt one i have seen before. It was bright orange in colour and didnt seem readily accessible (like on a reillo or a sterling). But it didnt look worn at all so didnt bother changing it.

I Think it starts after pushing the lock out button once but will check again with customer. All connections to teh pump are definately tighta nd i changed teh braided hose as well.

G

Fuel Filter is clean.

How do i check the EBI?? By that do you mean the ignition transformer or the electrodes??

G

Check it by changing it. They give intermittent problems sometimes.

Check it by changing it!!!!

My God oilman i never thought i would hear those words utter by your good self. I thought you would have fashioned some mad device that would have told you straight away if it was okay!!

Again excuse my ignorance but what exactly do you emna by the EBI( and would you have a part number?? Any idea were i woudl get some manuals for these bad boys also??

Thanks again lads

G

.......but what exactly do you emna by the EBI

This is what I emna by the EB1. There's no point having a manual for it as it's potted in resin, so you can't fix it. You can do a test to see if it works or not, connect the mains and see if you get a spark. But you have an intermittent problem, and I doubt you want to spent £3000 on a data logger.

King sir you truly are a gentleman.

My spelling is terrible i know and i was waiting to be slagged about the typo!!!

I will get the part and stick it in and see what happens.

Just for my future knowledge is there a problem with the solenoid coil on these? Could this also be the issue?

Why would this only be happening first thing in the morning? I could ask you another 4000 questions about burners but ill leave that for another time!!!

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back