EPDM Rubber Roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a detached domestic garage with a flat roof. I have been lookinhg into EPDM rubber roofing kits. Most companies seem to use two different thicknesses of rubber, a sort of standard and super. I can buy a kit with everything needed to do the job including the rubber sheet in one piece (so no joints to leak). Looking at the instructional videos the job looks fairly straight forward. Is it as easy as the videos make it look to do a DIY job ? Any pitfalls I should no about ? The roof will be 6 x 4 mt with a gutter down one of the long sides. With fibreglass roofing systems it seems to be recommended to lay the sheet on OSB3 T&G. Is it the same with EPDM systems or would 8x4 OSB3 sheets be good enough ? Any advice would be much appreciated. The company who are coming up with a competitively priced kit is Rubberflatroof.co.uk can anyone recommend them please...or another company maybe ?

Many Thanks
Suffolkman

Sponsored Links
see "fixmyroof" vid's on youtube - he shows both systems - and lists materials suppliers fwiw.

Yes it's easy.

Check out Permaroof who supply everything, including how-to guides.

Thanks both for your replies. I must admit that looking at a couple of videos already...it does look pretty straightforward. I will check out YT tomorrow. Was hoping someone will advise me if I should use T&G OSB or just regular 8x4 OSB.

Suffolkman

Sponsored Links
Just come on here for some advice myself. But you do use OSB3 Boards. I going to use just the 8 x 4 as joist spacing only 400mm. I looking at a Firestone kit for EPDM. Seems good. Any people on here got any thoughts for me and Suffolkman. Suffolkman if you near to the coast i'd go for a pitched roof if you can get permission for it. Not sure if flat roof will wear as long in coastal weather.

Osb3 T&G is the way to go, before you fix the first sheet down permanently put a few boards together first as it will stop you being out of line from the off.

I only struggled with gutter trim as any seams are twice the thickness the trim is designed to accept .

Thanks for further advice. no I am not near the coast. Will look into the gutter trim problem. Most suppliers seem to do two thicknesses. The thicker only working out at another £50 or so. Will probably go for that.

Suffolkman

I did it myself and am not a roofer or tradesman. It was easy. I went for the standard thickness as the seller said the thicker one was more for if you were going to be walking on it often.
I can't see it ever failing, it's been up for 5 years now and still looks as good as day 1.
Be careful to lay it flat on the glue without wrinkles.
The edging was the hardest bit and once you have nailed the plastic trim in place there is no removing the nail without damaging the trim.

Ive used bbth thicknesses -and both seem fine.

For a big garage roof I would go for the thicker option. Just bare in mind the weight -you will need to be very strong to lift it on the roof!
I unrolled my 6m x 5m rubber, then rolled it up as a carpet roll 6m wide. Then got one end up on the roof by pulling it up 2 long lengths of 8 x 2 leaning against roof.

My tips:

I laid the rubber in place on the roof for a few days to flatten as it comes with serious creases -ideally a few hours of sun to get it hot really helps to ease out the folds.

The rubber comes coated with silvery dust, some sort of release agent to stop it sticking together in manufacture -I used a henry and scrubbed it as best as poss to remove the worst.

The water based glue does not work well only applied to one surface -I coated both rubber and epdm.
The contact adhesive has 100% grab within seconds and will not release. To avoid risk of rubber blowing over before positioning put weights on folded back rubber whrn drying, then once touch dry lay some battens down on the glued roof section and move them back as the rubber is worked into position. (Only use contact adhesive where needed.

I bought a heavy duty roller made for karndean -I found it brilliant for rolling the glued areas.
The penny roller is worth it if you have internal corners and or upstands to do
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtico-kar...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I bought from rubber4roofs -they have good videos and written guides.
Every order Ive made they have delivered next day. They arent the cheapest.

AFAIK there are only 2 brands firestone and carlisle both American.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back