Equipotential bonding: no space in existing earth terminal block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the process of sorting out bonding to gas and water pipes. What i don't understand is how to connect the 10mm G&Y in the consumer unit cupboard. My understanding is it should go to the earth terminal block, however, there appears to be no space - see pic.

Can i replace the earth block with a 6- or 8-way? Or is there another solution?

Attachments

• earth block.png
    earth block.png
    400.6 KB · Views: 579
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
OP, ideally, your circuits should run right to left (largest to the extreme right), not left to right as they do now.

And I'm not sure if your consumer unit isn't overloaded with that 45A circuit.

Thanks. Still rather confused! Is the MET the block in the top left of my picture? If so, how do i connect a supplementary block to the earth wire (which i assume is the grey wire at the bottom of the block).

Are those bare wires in your neutral block???
I hadn't looked at the photo.

There is indeed at least one, and it doesn't look like someone got gung-ho with the strippers - looks like a cpc, which is alarming.

Maybe it is balanced out by the red in the earth block?

otherparty - there are some things wrong, potentially very wrong, with the way that CU is wired up, and if someone could do that who knows what lethal horrors they might have perpetrated elsewhere. I strongly advice getting a proper inspection done.

OP, ideally, your circuits should run right to left (largest to the extreme right), not left to right as they do now.

And I'm not sure if your consumer unit isn't overloaded with that 45A circuit.

You could well be right, but the electrician who did an EICR the other day didn't say anything about that. He just told me i needed bonding !

Why does a 6-way CU only have 4 earthing terminals? Is it so old that no provision was thought necessary for lighting circuits?

Are those bare wires in your neutral block???
I hadn't looked at the photo.

There is indeed at least one, and it doesn't look like someone got gung-ho with the strippers - looks like a cpc, which is alarming.

Maybe it is balanced out by the red in the earth block?

otherparty - there are some things wrong, potentially very wrong, with the way that CU is wired up, and if someone could do that who knows what lethal horrors they might have perpetrated elsewhere. I strongly advice getting a proper inspection done.

FGS? You have got me worried now! I've attached a couple of new pics. Hopefully a bit clearer!
CU2.png CU1.png

Why does a 6-way CU only have 4 earthing terminals? Is it so old that no provision was thought necessary for lighting circuits?

I guess so. I do not have earthing on my lighting circuits. The flat was built in the 1960s.
What does the EICR say? Anything about RCDs?

EICR says:
1. No main bonding present - C2
2. No earth on lights - change faceplates [were metal, now changed to plastic] - C2
3. No RCD protection - recommend upgrade DB - C3.

I'd have gone C2 for the lack of RCD if you have any sockets likely to be used to supply electrical items outdoors.
I dont think the consumer unit should have a 45A MCB in there either, usually the base is keyed so it doesn't fit in any location other than beside the main switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back