Equipotential bonding: no space in existing earth terminal block

I'd have gone C2 for the lack of RCD if you have any sockets likely to be used to supply electrical items outdoors.
I dont think the consumer unit should have a 45A MCB in there either, usually the base is keyed so it doesn't fit in any location other than beside the main switch.

No socket likely to be used to supply electrical items outdoors.
Re 45A MCB, electrician took out MCBs and put them back...he did say sth about "was that there before". I have a strange feeling there was one MCB that had previously been removed (and placed loosely in the cupboard) and that he may have put it back by mistake. But i can't be sure and just assumed he knew what he was doing.

Sponsored Links
Is there definitely a problem with the CU?
There are several. Red wire in the earth block is the most serious but also bare wires in the neutral block, and bare wires all over the place. The B6 on the right doesn't look to be connected to anything, so is perhaps the one the electrician found in the cupboard.

The report mentions no earth on the lighting circuit.

It looks to me that the lighting is wired in steel conduit. In older properties the steel conduit provides the earth.

Whether each light and switch are correctly earthed, I can't comment.

The red wire has been discnnected, ideally it should be capped off with a connector block.

Can you send an even better picture of that thin wire going to the neutral block, doesn't look at all right.

I would guess that earth block in the consumer unit has been added, some old metal fuse boxes had some very strange earthing arrangements - sometimes the earth wires were twisted together and wrapped a single earth terminal, and suchlike.

I am assuming this is a flat, built around 1970? Just a basic guess from what I've seen.

Sponsored Links
The red wire isn't in the earth block.

in any case, so many people on this forum recommend any unused wires should be tied to the earth terminal.

And then when they see something that looks like that, alarm bells start ringing.

That's why I place a connector block on any unused wires - it saves the panic later.

No earth sleeving
What appears to be a protective conductor being used as a neutral in the far left.
45A mcb fitted in incorrect position as per manufacturers instruction.
Cover missing.
Loose wires not terminated.
Are those metal conduits entering via the top? Are they earthed?

3610113a71efab269b6608bdff36c33e
Although that picture is out of date as they are now correctly called main protective bonding conductors.

Is there definitely a problem with the CU?
There are several. Red wire in the earth block is the most serious but also bare wires in the neutral block, and bare wires all over the place. The B6 on the right doesn't look to be connected to anything, so is perhaps the one the electrician found in the cupboard.

There is no red wire in the earth block. Pic is misleading. The red wire (that looks like it is connected to earth block) is actually loose and not connected to anything! All B6s are connected to something, however, the B6 on the left is coonected to the switch in the pic below. Afaik, that switch does nothing. I think it is actually that one that the electrician found in the cupboard.

Attachments

• switch.png
    switch.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 155
The report mentions no earth on the lighting circuit.

It looks to me that the lighting is wired in steel conduit. In older properties the steel conduit provides the earth.

Whether each light and switch are correctly earthed, I can't comment.

The red wire has been discnnected, ideally it should be capped off with a connector block.

Can you send an even better picture of that thin wire going to the neutral block, doesn't look at all right.

I would guess that earth block in the consumer unit has been added, some old metal fuse boxes had some very strange earthing arrangements - sometimes the earth wires were twisted together and wrapped a single earth terminal, and suchlike.

I am assuming this is a flat, built around 1970? Just a basic guess from what I've seen.

Yep, 1960s flat. Which thin wire do you mean? If the really thin grey one, that is not going to neutral block. It just looks like it on the pic. If you mean the thinnish black one into far right connector, that goes to the switch to the left of cu cupboard. I posted pic in previous post. It's the switch that doesn't seem to do anything connected to first left b6.

FGS? You have got me worried now!
My concern, only intensified by hearing you say that the electrician found an MCB lying around and decided to put it in, and that he said nothing about the bare conductors in the neutral bar, and nothing about a loose conductor flapping around, is that he DNHAFC.

Well, I believe he's a qualified to carry out an inspection ; so i can only assume he has a different idea of what is acceptable and what isnt.

Re the loose MCB, i can't say for certain that is what happened. I only recall vaguely that there was a loose one in there. The only time i have ever looked in the cu cupboard was when I have needed to take a meter reading! :)

EICR says:
1. No main bonding present - C2
2. No earth on lights - change faceplates [were metal, now changed to plastic] - C2
3. No RCD protection - recommend upgrade DB - C3.
The purpose of an EICR is to state the facts about a particular installation, not to recommend or suggest that additional work should be done.

If those requesting the EICR wanted suggestions or quote for works, that should be on an entirely separate document.

Also another C3 for the consumer unit not being made of or enclosed in a non combustible material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back