Ercol table project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been re-finishing our Ercol table. Decided to sand it to remove old lacquer, since there were surface stains and the grain looked filled with grime.
Even after several hours of sanding, some of the more open grain areas still look like they have grime in the pores.
Just wondering if steel wool and maybe white spirits would get down into the grain.
As a final finish I have some OSMO product I'd like to use, but searching through the forum no-one seems to have used OSMO.
The sanded finish is a nice golden colour (probably remnants of the original stain), so thinking to leave as is.

Sponsored Links
Ercol is traditionally elm - some say it should be chemically dipped and never sanded, others say otherwise.
However as you have commenced sanding I can’t see that wire wool would remove anything more - more likely to rub grot into the grain in fact.
Check out Youtube for restoring elm, and see what you find?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Try some meths, and then go over it with sanding sealer.

Be careful with steel wool as it may stain the wood and any localised rubbing with either steel wool or grit paper will lightly rut the surface and this could show when you apply the finish.

I'd go for a boiled linseed or danish oil to really bring out the grain. I've used Osmo door and external oil, and it is good and puts a nice coat on the wood but does not really enhance it - I'm not sure if the Osmo product you were thinking of does the same ie more of a surface protector rather than an absorbed enhancer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back