Ethernet cabling - TO PhillCO2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My comment was about him dissecting another member's, factually accurate, professional contribution.
But there is nothing wrong with doing that, per se.
What is wrong is for you to criticise people for simply expressing a different opinion to you, or disagreeing with your advice.

Nowhere in my post was I in any way abusive or rude. I simply pointed out that some of the factors you listed regarding cable choices were of little, or no, relevance in a domestic home network, and that putting in cabling to cope with more than 10Gb/s (or possibly even 1Gb/s) was overkill.

BAS's opinion may have been that the information was above the level necessary for a basic domestic installation, and he is entirely entitled to that opinion and probably correct.
Firstly, I don't think that the information was above the level necessary for a basic domestic installation (i.e. that people shouldn't know these things), only some of your suggested solutions. You'll note, I hope, that I didn't criticise you for mentioning the existence of Cat 7 cable, or the existence of length limits, but I did point out that Cat 7 would be over specced, and that length limits were unlikely to be a concern in the average house.

Secondly, it's hard to reconcile you saying that I'm "entirely entitled to [my] opinions and probably correct" with you objecting to me expressing those opinions and then going whining to the mods when I had the temerity to stand up for myself.

But wanting to learn and experience more than is required to just do the basic job is what makes great engineers, details of why and what not just how separate engineers from those who only install. Forums like these are about the open sharing of knowledge, something I'm sure BAS is as happy to do as I am.
Openly sharing knowledge was what I was happy to do, and you were happy to do as long as it was only you doing the sharing, it seems.

Contributions however can be made without being dismissive, particularly ad hominem of another member's contribution.
And that is an utterly ludicrous assertion. Nowhere have I engaged in an ad-hominem criticism of, or attack on, your contribution, and you do not have a scrap of evidence to back up such a claim.
======================
He does now, this post provides it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back