1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethernet cabling - TO PhillCO2

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by ban-all-sheds, 6 Feb 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But there is nothing wrong with doing that, per se.
    What is wrong is for you to criticise people for simply expressing a different opinion to you, or disagreeing with your advice.

Nowhere in my post was I in any way abusive or rude. I simply pointed out that some of the factors you listed regarding cable choices were of little, or no, relevance in a domestic home network, and that putting in cabling to cope with more than 10Gb/s (or possibly even 1Gb/s) was overkill.

Firstly, I don't think that the information was above the level necessary for a basic domestic installation (i.e. that people shouldn't know these things), only some of your suggested solutions. You'll note, I hope, that I didn't criticise you for mentioning the existence of Cat 7 cable, or the existence of length limits, but I did point out that Cat 7 would be over specced, and that length limits were unlikely to be a concern in the average house.

Secondly, it's hard to reconcile you saying that I'm "entirely entitled to [my] opinions and probably correct" with you objecting to me expressing those opinions and then going whining to the mods when I had the temerity to stand up for myself.

Openly sharing knowledge was what I was happy to do, and you were happy to do as long as it was only you doing the sharing, it seems.

And that is an utterly ludicrous assertion. Nowhere have I engaged in an ad-hominem criticism of, or attack on, your contribution, and you do not have a scrap of evidence to back up such a claim.
    ======================
    He does now, this post provides it.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Feb 2019
  2. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

3. Sponsored Links
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.