no rcd required ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi during some PIR,s I haved drawn the owners attention to the fact that some the installations (domestic?) have no RCD provision despite being completed when the 16th was in force, the owners of these (several time share properties) have countered my obsevations by saying that part of the time share agreement/contract states that no electrical equipment other than that provided will be used and that the use of electrical euipment outdoors is expressly forbidden and that therefore that particular requirement within the regs is nulled. my opinion is, what tosh but what do you guys think ??
DM

Sponsored Links
It would make the installation not compliant with the 16th or 17th Ed's.

Having said that, it's only a number 4.

Stange thing is when these were built 30 in total over 10 years three different contractors were used but few have rcd protection some have on the lounge ring as there are patio doors so I think one guy was concious of the regs but as for the rest maybe they were following specific instructions, who knows but yes Code 4 covers the situ
D,M

sounds reasonable..

under 16th, you only needed to RCD those sockets that could reasonably be expected to be used for supplying outdoor equipment.
if it's in the terms that no items of electrical equipment other than those provided and no outside electrical equipment is to be used then it's reasnoable to say that none of the sockets will be used for outdoor equipment..

saying that I doubt highly that they can really enforce those rules and that someone will bring a stereo etc for listening to on the patio / balcony etc.. and odds are that everyone brings mobile chargers / i-pod chargers etc..

still not compliant for 17th so still a 4

Sponsored Links
Coljack your dead right rumour has it on one occasion an electric barbie was hauled out of a disco
DM

I'm not sure that a contractual term preventing use of electrical equipment outside would be seen as sufficent if an incident was to occur which could have been prevented by the use of an RCD, the deisgner migh have some questions asked, because can you seriously expect the tenant of a domestic dwelling (and their families and children) to recall terms of the contract 2 yers later when they want to test out the new jet washer they have bought for the car?... if the ground floor socket outlets were silk screened with a suitable notice then you might have more of an argument

it's a time share.. ie holiday place, they wouldn't be taking a jetwash with them for a fortnight surely?

it's a time share.. ie holiday place, they wouldn't be taking a jetwash with them for a fortnight surely?

I missed that, but not sure its too important... we can all think of situations were someone might want to use an outlet outside and might not remember the exact terms of the contract in the situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back