Eurocombi Ariston boiler gauge rising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Yesterday our boiler (Eurocombi Ariston) stopped working and I called in a heating engineer since I haven't been able to find any kind of instructions online.

He explained that it was simply empty, then located and briefly opened a valve hidden underneath. The gauge went from zero to one bar. It then slowly climbed to two bar while I was signing the cheque and he said to keep an eye on it. Today it's climbed up to three and a half bar. I've checked the valve below and it appears shut (perpendicular to the pipe). Questions:

1. Should I be worrying about the rising gauge?
2. Is there anything straightforward I can do before calling the guy back?
3. Are instructions for this boiler available anywhere?
4. London has very hard water, the wiki here says I should install a scale inhibitor. Can a novice with patience and keeness to learn do this on his own?

Help much appreciated! I'll try to find threads at diynot that I can contribute to as my gift back...

Sponsored Links
If its rising when its off then the filling loop is probably letting by. If it rises when boiler is on the exp vessel problem. Your man should guarentee this!

I haven't noticed when exactly the gauge is rising just that it's now up to 3.5.

Think I'll give the guy a ring in the morning as it sounds like I should be concerned.

rob884 said:
If its rising when its off then the filling loop is probably letting by. If it rises when boiler is on the exp vessel problem. Your man should guarentee this!
Could be calorifier passing aswell

Stan

Sponsored Links
Since it was originally empty its unlikely to be the HE leaking.

Much more likely to be the filling loop valve. Usually wagging them will seal it.

Tony

Agile said:
Since it was originally empty its unlikely to be the HE leaking.

Much more likely to be the filling loop valve. Usually wagging them will seal it.

Tony

Called the guy today and he said the same thing. Level on the gauge has now stabilised. Thanks for the feedback people!

After playing with the filling loop valve the gauge has stabilised and started to slowly go down. But I would still appreciate a copy of the manual for future reference, I've got a EuroCombi Ariston model: A/23 MFFI.

Email: alef_cinephile at yahoo dot com

Thank you, kev and/or dan! This is an impressively helpful site, the face of the internet that remains helpful, generous and free. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back