EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The guy lives by his words.
I don't. I live by feel. It gives me forward knowledge on things. For instance I know there will be blood bath in the EV market where the price collapses close to nothing. What will that do to the resale value of your EV? If that isn't a write off, I don't know what is. The price will then rise on a dead cat bounce as the more naive of the poor people enter the market. After some usage, they too realise what a bum deal on their lives EV's are. When they stop buying, that will be the end of EV's.

I don't. I live by feel. It gives me forward knowledge on things. For instance I know there will be blood bath in the EV market where the price collapses close to nothing. What will that do to the resale value of your EV? If that isn't a write off, I don't know what is. The price will then rise on a dead cat bounce as the more naive of the poor people enter the market. After some usage, they too realise what a bum deal on their lives EV's are. When they stop buying, that will be the end of EV's.

It'll be funny, looking back at your drivel in 100 years or so...

Just dropped into my InBox...

Looks quite an interesting shape.
The Honda jet shown @5.05 looks fantastic and it appears to me to have the nose of a 'Shinkansen' bullet train...but 'The Saloon' looks like a slice of the future, right here, right now. It could be the coolest car i've ever seen: if Top Gear still had the cool wall, they'd have to put it in the sub-zero section, reserved for the elite.

I mean, look at it...

Honda-0-Series-Saloon-EV-CES-Frank-Markus-5.png

:notworthy:

Just dropped into my InBox...

Looks quite an interesting shape.

Aye, that saloon is a bonny looking car. I think there's a fair bit of "hype" going on in that video. Few, (if any) manufacturers actually want to build heavy cars, that's just how they come out! You can save weight by using more sophisticated materials, but that pushes the cost up. People are already moaning about EVs being too expensive.

It's interesting, my car is roughly equivalent to the Tesla Model 3, but the latter is about 200kg lighter. They also seem to be a bit more energy efficient. That's largely down to Tesla having designed it as an EV from the ground up, whilst the i4 shares the ICE 4-Series platform. But there's also a price to pay for that. Tesla's use of "gigacastings" mean that if I have a minor prang in my Beamer, (well, according to Nutjob, I'll die horribly in a blazing inferno, so it won't matter, but in the unlikely event of that NOT happening... ;) ), it can go to a bodyshop and once they've dropped the battery pack out, it's a very conventional car. They can pull it straight on an alignment jig, and drill out spot wells, replace panels, etc. Tesla are finding that you can't do that, when you make the car like a Dinky toy, with huge die castings forming the structure. You end up having to replace an awful lot of car! That's part of the reason Teslas are so expensive to do crash repairs on. Likewise, in the Model Y, they glued all the cells together in the battery pack. That saves weight and makes for a stiffer structure, but they've very much bet the farm on never having to replace any cells! In the future, I expect a whole industry to evolve, repairing and reconditioning EV battery packs. Plug in the diagnostic box, identify the duff cells, whip the top off the battery pack pull out the relevant module(s), swap the duff cells, and put it all back together again. Individual cells are pretty cheap. You only need a couple of duff ones to drag down the performance of the whole battery to the level of the weakest cell.

The other thing, (and probably the biggest, easiest, single weight saving), is to reduce the performance. I lay the blame for this, firmly at Musk's door. In his attempt to make EVs "sexy", he made them insanely powerful. Prior to that, relatively humble offerings, like the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, etc, had offered pretty ordinary "family car" performance. Now, if it can't do a sub-5 second 0-60, you're just not in the game! I accept, the acceleration in mine is great fun, but nobody can argue that I actually need it! And of course, like the man from Honda says, big acceleration means big motors, big reduction gears, big battery to feed the big motors, big chassis to carry the big battery, big suspension to support the big chassis carrying the big motor and the big battery... another vicious circle....

Lastly, the consumers are a problem. They're all wanting ICE-like range. If there's one thing I've learned since getting an EV, it's that as long as it has more range than my bladder, that's enough! It's rare that I'll do more than 200 miles without a stop. Unlike an ICE, I don't need to stand there in the cold, like a lemon, holding the filling nozzle". I plug in, and walk away - grab a brew, go to the toilet, saunter back... What I'd now prefer, is a lighter, more energy-efficient EV, with a SHORTER range, but guaranteed availability of a high-powered, working charger, that is simple to use (no stupid "apps"), with transparent pricing, whenever I fancy a stop.

I mean, look at it...
I am and I would rate it the same good looks as the cybertruck, in other words something that came up by 5 year olds. True design flair comes from italians. B+ grade would be the germans if they are able to maintain discipline such as that for the 911. Poor designs suffer from flat panels. They think they are making ikea flat packs.

They're all wanting ICE-like range.
I don't. I want only 10 mile range, more than plenty for the grocery shop. But the option of having an instant 200 mile range at 5 minute's notice is a must. Of course, it mustn't start a fire.

The other thing, (and probably the biggest, easiest, single weight saving), is to reduce the performance. I lay the blame for this, firmly at Musk's door. In his attempt to make EVs "sexy", he made them insanely powerful. Prior to that, relatively humble offerings, like the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, etc, had offered pretty ordinary "family car" performance. Now, if it can't do a sub-5 second 0-60, you're just not in the game! I accept, the acceleration in mine is great fun, but nobody can argue that I actually need it! And of course, like the man from Honda says, big acceleration means big motors, big reduction gears, big battery to feed the big motors, big chassis to carry the big battery, big suspension to support the big chassis carrying the big motor and the big battery... another vicious circle....

Lastly, the consumers are a problem. They're all wanting ICE-like range. If there's one thing I've learned since getting an EV, it's that as long as it has more range than my bladder, that's enough! It's rare that I'll do more than 200 miles without a stop. Unlike an ICE, I don't need to stand there in the cold, like a lemon, holding the filling nozzle". I plug in, and walk away - grab a brew, go to the toilet, saunter back... What I'd now prefer, is a lighter, more energy-efficient EV, with a SHORTER range, but guaranteed availability of a high-powered, working charger, that is simple to use (no stupid "apps"), with transparent pricing, whenever I fancy a stop.

I wasn't expecting to buy another car in the near future - we have 2, 1 hybrid, 1 ICE (but is an Estate car- I can't do without an estate car!). The ICE is not particularly quick, the Hybrid is shall we say quicker, instantaneous performance and reasonably economical (66+ MPG). Do I want or need the 'Ludicrous' performance of a Tesla - no - my Drag racing days are over.

As for normal use - If I could find a mid-sized EV estate car with around a 250 mile range in mid-winter then, on the whole, I'd be perfectly happy. Have to agree with you regarding charging and 'apps'. My first car that I did long distances in had a range of around 200 miles (mini with a six gallon tank).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back