EV Chargepoint/Supply Requirements/Smart Meter Fitment?

It seems to do the job - is there some specific danger here?
Only that those Wylex devices are not designed to be installed into that enclosure, the type approval is not valid, and whoever installed it is now the designer of the consumer unit and responsible for any problems that may occur. Whether they fit properly onto the busbar is another unknown.
It's also made of plastic, and doesn't have any surge protection.

I think it is likely that the EV people will want to put a small CU in
Some EV installer types may well do that. It's not necessary or desirable.

If that plastic enclosure is replaced with a slightly larger metal Wylex one, the EV or any other additions can go into the same unit. Along with the required surge protection.

Sponsored Links
The chargers only use 31A, so there isn't really a need for a 100A fuse anyway
The problem is while an electric car charger only draws about 30A, it can do it for many hours. With most large loads simultaneous use is uncommon, with an EV charger it becomes far more common/likely.

I think the maximum setting is 60A anyway!
https://myenergi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/zappi-manual-v2.0_english.pdf claims the limit can be set up to 100A, though I think that is only for hardwired CTs. The "harvi" wireless unit seems to have a 65A limit.

OP

Are you running an HMO?

You have multiple ovens, hobs and. Fire Alarm panel.

Only that those Wylex devices are not designed to be installed into that enclosure, the type approval is not valid, and whoever installed it is now the designer of the consumer unit and responsible for any problems that may occur. Whether they fit properly onto the busbar is another unknown.
It's also made of plastic

David savoury fitted wylex with legrand main switch for a few months. He considered it a good fit, so I don’t think there is an immediate danger here.

Though I agree it’s not a certified combination

But yes a larger wylex metal cu, with an extra Mcb and some swa to a zappi charger would be a neat way forward

Sponsored Links
OP

Are you running an HMO?

You have multiple ovens, hobs and. Fire Alarm panel.

It sounds like it doesn’t it! The fire alarm was installed by the person we bought the house from - who had carried out massive extension and renovation works, but never actually lived in it. The house has a loft conversion, so I suppose needs a decent alarm but it always seemed a bit over the top to me.
A big Rangemaster explains the hob and two of the ovens, but my wife also insisted on a separate eye level oven when we were fitting out the kitchen extension.
Something that remains a bit of a mystery is that the renovation and extension work left that mess of an electrical supply right in the middle of the house. I think I would have moved it to an outside wall when doing everything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back